Kitchen counters

15 Replies

I redoing a small kitchen for a first rental.  I want to try to save some money on the countertops.  I got an estimate from lowes for laminate counters uninstalled for $1700.  It's seems really high for laminate. Does anyone have any recommendations, I'm in central Florida.  Thanks

You could do tile counter tops with a hardwood bullnose:

The total cost was $568.56 (installed by me).  That includes purchasing a finishing nailer and and 2,000 nails for 160.18.

are there countertops in there now which you can have refinished? If so you can get them refinished for about $350. There are companies which do resurfacing of tubs and refinishing of counters. It can save quite a bit to refinish vs. replacement costs.

Promotion
Speed To Lead
Buy hot seller leads w/o subscription
Buy daily seller leads that are actually ready to sell
Finally there's a place where you can buy leads that asked for urgent help selling their house

Thanks!  Ceramic tile.  We bought it from Home Depot.  

You'd need 3/4" plywood, 1/4" hardie backer, liquid nail for applying the hardie to the plywood, tile adhesive (was actually cheaper at ACE), Finish nailer and nails, masonry bit and small screws (secure the hardie to plywood in addition to liquid nail), backsplash tile (floor and decor in Houston) and grout (unsanded).  Oh and those little 1/8" spacers for the backsplash tile.

You can get the bullose cut at a local cabinet shop for a decent price.  You'll also need to borrow or rent a tile saw and a grinder with a masonry cutting wheel.

You'll also need a jigsaw to cut out the template for the sink, out of the plywood and hardie.

I forgot to mention that this was for the kitchen, hall bath and master bathroom.

a laminate countertop sheet is only like $100 or so and sometimes they have scratch and dent section of laminate counters.  To install you simply cut a hole for sink using a jigsaw for the sink or you can use a circular and hole saw for the rounded corners.  You connect the sink with clips and also screw the base cabinets to the the counter. The hardest part is cutting the hole for the sink.  It may actuallly be easier to just use a couple sheets of plywood or osb and then go over with hardbackie/tile because it will cost less if you mess up the sink hole and the materials may cost less for tile counters anyway depending on how frugal you are.

I redid my kitchen in "Jamocha Granite" Laminate counters and it was only $80 for the counters themselves and I installed them, they look great and can't beat the price, my tenants love them. This kitchen only cost me $600 to redo myself, and it was pretty easy to do. Obviously there is more to this kitchen here, but this is just an example for you.

Are you buying all those cabinets?  For a rental, I'd loose the wall corner cabinets, the lazy susan, and the 30" base cabinet and eliminate the peninsula completely.  That should cut the cost of your counter tops almost in half, more if you go with stock counters that have stacked up by the cabinets at Lowes.  Also, it doesn't look like you've got any drawers at all.  That would make it cheaper, simpler, and would look more open.  If you don't have a good handyman, I'd go with @Chuck Webb suggestion and get some quotes off of Angie's list from people that have good reviews.  

Promotion
Roofstock
Buy & sell single-family rentals online
Radically accessible real estate investing
Get access to exclusive property listings, proprietary data, and support to build your portfolio.
Learn More

For a post form formica counter top you are looking at a $700 counter top.  I can not speak for the overhead etc.. of your local fabricator.

That is not installed which Lowes may have included but that is not a $1000 install either.

It's less than a day of work.

Go here, this is the post form top manufacturer, ask them to connect you with a stocking fabricator in your area. http://www.hartson-kennedy.com/BuyH-K/FindYourDeal...

Depot and Lowes are great for retail people who want a 25% discount on half quality product at 8pm on Sunday night.  Good luck!

I just did a very small kitchen with quartz that was a smaller slab in the scratch and dent section (no defect, just a small slab) at a granite store in my area. The counters, backsplash, install and sink totaled $1134- no effort on my part since i have zero DIY skills or time. Turned out nicely- probably too pricey, and the photo doesn't show it, but the counters look super nice with little sparkly bits in them, and are pretty tenant-proof. This is an AirBnB property so was trying for some bling in an otherwise pretty blah kitchen (just repainted the 1950s cabinets and put on new knobs.)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you