Tenant put in yard irrigation system

2 Replies

Hello,

Yard maintenance at the house we are renting out is the tenants' responsibility. They basically need to be watering the plants regularly. While we were away they decided to put in a sprinkler system to automate watering and make it easier for themselves to maintain the yard. Though they are supposed to ask before making any changes to the property they did not. I don't want to raise an issue over their not asking first, and I will let that slide to maintain a good relationship. I just want to ensure that the sprinklers are installed properly. They did a DYI job. The guy is in construction (project manager on large construction projects). We will be going over to the property for him to show us what he did. What should I watch out for to ensure a proper job was done that will not create problems now and in the future? (ie, I know to look for any leaks that could damage the house structure over time but any other details from the community would be greatly appreciated). Thank you

First , look for the backflow preventor .  After that , its hard to say . I have installed over 200 systems and serviced 3 times that . When i get to a DIY job , its always funny on what was done

I would call a company that professionally installs them and have them inspect the system either at the time the tenant shows you the system or after.  Any changes that need to be made that is found by the Professional will need to be done and tenants expense.  I would not provide any rent credit to the tenant either.  I would not object to paying the professional for his time to come out.  As I landlord I would eat that cost due to a free irrigation system.   Use the professional as the bad guy.

Promotion
Speed To Lead
Buy hot seller leads w/o subscription
Buy daily seller leads that are actually ready to sell
Finally there's a place where you can buy leads that asked for urgent help selling their house

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you