Options to Resurface concrete

6 Replies

Hello everyone, I'm renovating a property. The previous owner glued green carpet on the back patio and the front walkway. I'm in the process of scraping it all off, but it's leaving stains.

Ideas on how to resurface on the cheap?

Promotion
Innago
Property Management Software
Manage Your Rentals Better For Free. Save Time & Money.
Easily Collect Rent, Screen Tenants, Sign Leases, List Properties, Manage Work Orders, & Much More!
100% Free Try It Now

If you try @Jim Adrian 's solution, I'd like to know how well it wears. I have a driveway with a crumbled surface. If you want something that's probably more durable and not too costly if you do the work yourself, how about tile?

Originally posted by @Bob H. :

If you try @Jim Adrian's solution, I'd like to know how well it wears. I have a driveway with a crumbled surface. If you want something that's probably more durable and not too costly if you do the work yourself, how about tile?

Here is another company with a lot more options to choose from.  Both company are reputable.  The key to fixing your issues is prep work.  You must remove any loose concrete down to "sound" concrete.  Not knowing the conditions you many need to shot blast but I get pressure washing will do the trick to remove the loose concrete. 

http://www.euclidchemical.com/products/construction-products/repair/horizontal-repair/cementitious-mortars/

Prep work is key. removed all old loose material with pressure washer, use a concrete top repair (like Jim said) or an epoxy based cover that's made for concrete (paint will NOT last).  Look at stores for Garage floor Epoxy.  A few prep steps and it rolls on with a paint roller.

Good luck.

I've had the same problem. I don't know why anyone ever thought carpeting on patios was a good idea. I used the stuff below but would NOT recommend it in heavy traffic areas. The front porch is only used by the mailman and looks great 3 years later. The back porch, which is in front of the main entrance, is flaking and chipping off.

Like the previous poster mentioned, cleaning and prep is the key no matter what coating you use.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/restore/deck-and-concrete-restore-10x

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you