• Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Columbus, OH - renovation suggestions

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Oct 25 2016, 12:54
Hi BP Columbus, OH community. I'm in the process of buying my first duplex in the German Village/Merion Village area (2 blocks south of Schiller) and am looking for any trade secrets people are willing to share, insight, ideas & referrals. I plan on renting out one side while I live in the other. The side that is getting the upgrades is where I plan on living for about 2 years or until I save up for another down payment. The long term goal is to buy and hold so I'm looking for recommendations that are good for both an owner and future renter. Looking for help with the following: 1. A good place around town to buy quality (budget friendly) flooring. I'm leaning towards laminate on the first floor but am open to suggestions. Does anyone have experience as to what works best in rentals? I'm interested in understanding what type of flooring people think is best and why. - For the 2nd & 3rd floor, I'm leaning towards carpet but could potentially refinish the existing wood floors or put laminate in them as well. Does anyone have a recommendation as to why I would go with one option over another? The wood floors are currently not in great condition. Lots of gaps and some cupping is visible. 2. A place to get kitchen cabinets. Not looking for anything custom. Just some decent cabinets that are durable and a look that makes the place feel like home. Would it be a good idea to look at Craig's list and refinish cabinets I can buy on the cheap? 3. Quality interior painters. The house is in need of a full paint job on the inside. It will be completely empty with the floors being replaced so I hope to make this a quick process. 4. Lastly, I'm considering adding a bathroom. With this being said, would turning a unit from a 2bed/1bath to a 2bed/2bath be worth it in the long term? Does it have a big impact on rent or make the rental much more desirable? Any idea what a bathroom addition would cost? The space is roughly 8'x8' Again, would look to install just the basics. (Note: The main stack goes through the corner of this room which I am guessing would make a bathroom addition much more cost efficient) Thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing what people have to say. - Chris

Loading replies...