Here we go....

2 Replies

So, I recently bought my first duplex that needed some work. When I say work, I thought more of touch up and cosmetics that I was comfortable with. IE: I am currently refinishing floors right now, and plan to remodel a bathroom after. However, since living in it, I have started to notice problems, and big ones I think. First, the ceiling in the downstairs kitchen is leaking water, which below the upstairs bathroom. The ceiling by a wall nearest to a window and outside is now leaking as well. This is a huge concern for me, as I do not know how to fix this. I have a HSA home warranty that will be checking out the leaks, so I just hope that I am covered, and it can get replaced. IF not, then it will be an experience to remember. Looking back, the home inspection was a bit of a fail. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. 

@Jeremy Lee

Who paid for the warranty? Hopefully you will be covered but I suspect they might say it's "pre-existing conditions" and deny your claims.

It is what is. You already bought it, so the best way is to get the issues fixed asap - after the insurance company notify you of their decision. 

Start  getting contractors from referrals to look at the issues, and give you ideas and quotes. You would want to address it before it freezes outside. 

Hi Chris,

Seller paid for it.

Warranty says plumbing is included, and undetectable pre existing conditions. So hoping that falls within those.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.