Old concrete "patch" on basement wall - what to do with it?

3 Replies

I am flipping a house that a previous owner smeared a bunch of concrete on a part of the basement wall. I assume they were trying to keep water from coming into the house but it didn't help.  I fixed the real problem but now I'm left with this ugly concrete patch on the basement wall.  I painted the wall but it still sticks out.  The biggest complaint that I get from buyers is this patch.  They are afraid that it is hiding something or there is a problem.  It is stuck tight and I can't remove it.  Any ideas what to do with this?

Skim over the entire wall. Tell buyers it was part of doing a external repair if they ask.

In the old days it used to be called sure wall.  Your big box store has it in a bag back by the concrete mixes.  it has short fiberglass hairs in it and used for back plastering concrete,,,,blocks,walls.  Use a bonding agent first.  Like Greg said do the whole wall if not ALL the inside walls.  An older concrete contractor is who I would call.  It looks white when done.

the first two posts are a great suggestion, just want to throw another option at you to consider, you can use a grinder with a concrete blade and use it like a sander and blend the batch into the original wall area to make the patch blend in better with the wall then use a basement paint like Drylock or a water proofing that is painted on the walls, its a little thicker then just concrete paint and will help to cover up the patched area.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here