Shower recaulk

4 Replies

Hello all,

Yesterday morning when I stepped into the shower, I noticed something. My shower caulk was damaged and it looked awkward. Will I be able to repair it alone?? I saw few tips to recaulk the shower online. Has anyone tried recaulking? Will it be effective if we do it ourselves?

@Concetta Parsons If you are ready to spend half a day or more and have enough patience then you can definitely do it. I have re-grouted the shower and it was much more work. If I have to do it again, I would try to be more patient. The biggest frustration comes from it taking more time, especially when it's you first attempt. Otherwise, it is doable. 

Yes it is definitely something you could do. I have a few tips.

make sure that when you remove the old caulk there is almost no residue left behind.

use good quality silicone as it will last much longer and stay mold free.

If you are new taping above and below (with painters tape) is also a good idea to make sure you have crisp lines. And remove the tape right after you finished caulking.

Smoothing with a finger is great just make sure that you wet your finger down and clean it off after each swipe.

Lastly clean up before it dries.

Make sure the surface is completely dry prior to caulking.  The caulk fails when water gets behind it and allows mold growth so you will need to make sure your caulking is continuous and that there is no moisture behind the caulk from not allowing the surface to dry first.  You will also want to check curing instructions as any dirt or grime that gets on the caulk before it is fully cured will stain and bond to the dirt/grime.  This is a maintenance item that just needs to be done every 7-10 years or so.

Thank you all for your opinions.. Will try to recaulk it today and I hope it comes out well. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.