Rehab Nasty Basement Apartment

6 Replies

We bought a multifamily March 2016.  There was at one time a basement apartment. It was since stripped down to bare concrete floors and nasty paneling. It's now time to begin the rehab. We are wondering what kind of flooring we should put down and if we should paint/seal it first. Also, any suggestions for the walls?

There are some good books available about renovating basements. I like the one by Black and Decker because it's chock full of good pictures; it's titled "The Complete Guide to Finishing Basements".

Most basements suffer from poor light AND mold,mildew dampish walls and possibly smells.

My preferred wall covering would be purple sheetrock.  It is unable to support mold of its own.  Might start at like 2 inches off the floor and let plastic baseboard complete to the floor.  BEFORE rock poly on the walls then some Styrofoam insulation.  It doesnt draw moisture and if a bit damp drys back out well unlike fiberglass.  If it is a cold exterior wall a slight ir gap is good for condensation purposes.

Any flooring rated for below grade will work.  A short nap commercial type carpet is cheap and easy to replace,,,or laminate etc.  then tenant or yourself could use a room size rug if cold floors are a concern.  Most basement floors are not very even and tend to have low spots,,,so they may need peeping for YOUR finish of choice

If flooding is any kind of concern might reconsider  any kind of expense.  Personally I would pex all water lines and change any metal drain lines in the WHOLE hose before covering anything permanently,,,as well as upgrade what wiring is accessible

And dont forget to upgrade the windows first if needed

I would most definitely spray foam the basement walls.  I've done several basement apartments myself, and if you strip them down to bare walls, that's the perfect opportunity to spray foam insulate the basement before refinishing it.  I posted a video of us having it done on my blog. You might wanna check it out.  

As for flooring, a laminate click flooring is what I usually go with.

I had wood flooring in my basement which was a great look until the waterline broke. I've since replaced it with tile. The waterline has not broken, but if it does, I won't have to replace the flooring.

Green board drywall for moisture barrier and go with tile on the floors since you're already on a concrete slab.

Spray foam the walls and use Amdry type product on floors.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.