Alejandro Martinez
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Questions on San Diego Additional Unit Construction

Alejandro Martinez
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Jul 19 2017, 17:54

Hello San Diego BP community,

I am ready to make my first RE investment, and I am looking to purchase an R3 zoned property with a single house. I have done construction before, but I have not been involved with the logistics of permits and regulations. 

The property I am looking to purchase is close to market value at 420k and allows for 2 additional units to be built. With my previous experience and partnership with construction-experienced partners (not licensed contractors however), I plan to add two more units that I can eventually rent out once completed.

This will be an owner-occupied property and will finance using an FHA loan. With that being said, I would like to get more input from experienced flippers and contractors about the limitations, advantages, and disadvantages of completing this project as an owner builder. Once again my experience and construction-savvy partners guarantee the completion of a quality construction. My concern is with the limitations I could face due to regulations and permits. Your input and constructive criticism is highly appreciated.