Toilet- Noisy Pipes and Sewage Smell

9 Replies

I've been having an issue with a toilet. Every time it flushes, you can hear loud noises in the pipes as the water moves through. Also every now and then there is a slight sewage smell in the bathroom. Any thoughts on diagnosis?  

Possible sewer vent problem.

new or old toilet ?  recently maintenance ? Septic system ?

Originally posted by @Rich N. :

new or old toilet ?  recently maintenance ? Septic system ?

Toilet is 12 years old, no recent maintenance, sewer system

if other toilets/sinks are not having issues, then I doubt its the main/sewer.

Can you see the piping under the toilet or in the basement ?  Could the house settling have caused the proper flow?   This might happen if it was an add-on / remodel and not part of the original house.

Does it have slow draining/flushing ?  Could it be partially clogged and needing a toilet auger? Is the fill valve slipping an not filling the 12 year old tank with enough water to do its job ?

I'd say a bad flange seal for the smell. No idea about the noise, did it not always sound like that or is it recent? Unlikely to be a vent issue unless there's an air admittance valve rather than a proper vent and it's malfunctioning. 

I would start by installing a new wax ring.

@Rich N. There is one other bathroom in the house that has noisy pipes when flushing, but no sewer smell. I cannot easily get to the pipes.

@Johann Jells The noise started about 6 months ago, but the smell has been within the past 2 weeks.

I may have to bite the bullet and get a plumber out here to take a look.

check the vent? is it cast iron ? if the vent starts deteriorating this can happen with partial blockages.

As several others mentioned, it’s probably just a problem with the wax ring that seals the bottom of the toilet to the flange at the floor level. This can allow strange sounds and smells into the bathroom. The fix is a pretty easy DIY project if you’re interested: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ZXo9k26s4

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.