Plumbing Permit Required?

7 Replies

Obviously this might be different depending on the state, however is it necessary to obtain a plumbing permit/inspection to replace a shower valve?  How about to replace a toilet? I don't want to pull any unnecessary permits. I have tried calling the permit and inspection office but can't get an answer or anyone to call me back, so wanted to see if anyone on here had any advice.

We are in Omaha, Nebraska if that helps.  Thank you!

I had a city inspector come in to give me a rental permit...a few things on his list required permits to be pulled. Something as simple as getting the gas stove installed required a permit to be pulled.

It is different for every town, city and state but definitely worth checking out. I would highly recommend going onto your town/city's website and going to the inspection section. Mine usually lays out what exactly requires a permit vs. what can be done yourself. Cosmetic things such as flooring, painting, etc do not require it but most of the time any heating, electrical, plumbing will need a permit!

Also, what the town/city does not know does not hurt (if done correctly)...

As previously mentioned, it will vary for each town, city, county and/or state but as a general rule, the more "dangerous" the installation might be, the more a permit is likely to be required.

For example, the issue with a gas stove (or gas hot water heater) installation makes sense.  Do it incorrectly and a gas leak can certainly be dangerous.  Same with an electric hot water heater installation.

However, there's little danger is changing out a toilet (except flooding and a really sore back from hauling the old one out and the new one in!) so it's unlikely that a permit is needed for this.  I've had several shower valves replaced and never required a permit.

Gail

^ Agreed mostly with @Gail K. but my city actually requires a permit for a toilet replacement. The previous landlord replaced one and left the old one out front and it wasn't long before they hit him with a fine and asked to see to a permit....just goes to show how every location is different...I suggest giving a call or going down to your city hall!

Most larger cities will require a permit to be pulled if you do any plumbing. 

Yes.  In Omaha, you are supposed to pull permits for both shower valve and toilet replacement.  That doesn't mean that everyone does in fact pull them, obviously.  But technically you are supposed to.

The easiest way to determine whether a permit is needed is to contact you local Code Enforcement office.

Gail

Originally posted by @Steve DellaPelle :

I would highly recommend going onto your town/city's website and going to the inspection section. Mine usually lays out what exactly requires a permit vs. what can be done yourself. 

OMG, I can't imagine my city's inspection dept creating such a thing, they don't even answer the phone!  I suspect we don't need a permit for a toilet, since I've put them out a number of times and the prick across the street who calls them every time he thinks I'm doing unpermitted work apparently does not call. 

Best rule of thumb: keep your blinds down and move the demo trash and such by night!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.