Turning over a unit - would like some flooring advice

15 Replies

Hi folks,

As soon as this pesky eviction is finished (fingers cross for less than 2 weeks from now), we'll begin re-habbing a small 1 bedroom unit in our duplex. The floors are trashed: crappy carpet with cigarette burns throughout. At first we thought a paint job and some cheap carpet would be all we need to do to get it back on the market quickly and rented, but in an effort to "harden" the rental, add some juju to the place (and thinking long-term) I am beginning to think Allure vinyl plank may be the way to go.

Does anyone have experience with this brand - or suggestions of others to look at. I don't want to spend top dollar but want it to look attractive & have it be an upgrade should we go to re-fi or something.  Thanks in advance.

@Christen G.

I've seen a lot of post of people using this product. I believe its dyi as well. I have no experience with this.  I recently refinished real hardwood that I had under carpet.   The Allure flooring will be cheaper in the long run vs carpet.  

We've used Allure (not the "click" version; the original version with the glue strip).  Very sturdy.  It has been in one rental house now for the past 5 years and still looks like new.

Many landlords like this product.  Very easy to put down, cut and fit, etc..  The size of each plank makes the job go quickly.  Need to make sure the floor is clean, especially if using the glue strip variety.

Possibly the most difficult part of it is choosing the color you want.  We go for the product that's $1.79 a square foot at our local Home Depot (unless it's the Black Friday sale in which case they usually offer it at .99 a square foot).   Last time it bought it it was the cherry color.  I tend to like the oak a little better; doesn't show dirt as much.

Gail

We haven’t used the Allure brand, but have vinyl plank flooring in all of our rentals now, it is really sturdy and hard for tenants to damage!

Being in the flooring industry, I can tell you that LVT is and has been rapidly growing in popularity and usage. You will have three main types of platforms available: full spread adhesive glue down, a click or lock system and a perimeter sticky adhesive system where there is a lip of pre-apply adhesive on all four sides of each plank or tile. Full spread adhesive products are the least expensive to purchase but likely the most expensive to have installed as well as, for the most part, the most time-consuming to install as well. The "floating" systems are extremely easy to put down. One consideration when using the sticky-edged products: if you have spills or moisture, it can degrade that adhesive and cause a failure or you can have adhesive seeping along the edges of each plank or tile. The visuals and durability of LVT products in general have gotten so much better so quickly. I have used LVT in my personal home and would do it again in a heartbeat. :::steps from soapbox:::

Another vote from me on vinyl plank.  I am trying to phase out carpet whenever possible on my rentals.  The only problems that I have encountered with it is if you have uneven floors, it can cause problems with installation and aesthetics.  Also, make sure you take a key or the edge of a quarter and scrape the sample with it before you buy it.  The cheaper LVT will scratch easily and can be ruined after one tenant moves their furniture in/out.

I'm about to install the Lifeproof vinyl plank "click together" plank this weekend...we bought the more expensive, thicker version at $2.79/sq ft.....we will see how it goes. My wife and I did glue down engineered hardwood in out own house and if we can do that, I'm sure we can do a "click and lock". Everything I researched pointed toward the LVT plank..... nearly indestructible and water proof...I have no plans to ever replace carpet again....and tile is more expensive to install....

I use the thicker click together Lowes LV plank flooring. I love it. Tenants do too. 

Way more forgiving of less than ideal subfloors compared to tile. 

Works especially great in small/odd shaped spaces like a bathroom. 

The glue down thinner version is not fully waterproof. 

Updated 9 months ago

Edit: I meant that the thinner type with the adhesive strip in not fully waterproof

I use the click vinyl in kitchens and common halls, but prefer the traditional laminate for other rooms. I've found the vinyl more difficult to install, it doesn't click as securely as laminate, and tapping is harder.  Tapping is not recommended for the product but to get under door casings and such without removing them it must be done.  I've installed thousands of feet of laminate and maybe 700 of the vinyl.

I had some allure plus (the click lock not the glue strip) in a retail store for two years. We lost our lease and moved the store so we took up the flooring and re-installed it in and 1100sq ft rental. The stuff still looks brand new after two years in a retail environment.

+1 for allure. It's my favorite flooring for rentals. I use the tile look allure in kitchens and the wood look in bedrooms and living rooms. Very easy to install. I've been working on eliminating carpet from my rentals because it's usually the most expensive item when I turn over a unit. Allure is a great alternative.

@Christen G. ,

We do low income rentals, so we need durability like no other... .   We also allow pets, and have learned the hard way by putting in laminate in 1 property-- laminate IMO is a bad idea if you allow pets.        

Before doing rentals, we put in wood looking Luxury Vinyl tile in our back porch, and let me just say... I'm disappointed.    After 2 years, some parts have expanded, and if it's in the middle, you can either ignore it, or you can re-do the entire floor...  Subfloors need to be perfect too, or it's not forgiving...  if it scratches... you just gotta keep looking at it..  A lot of people love the LVT, but I would personally not recommend it.   I like flooring you can do once, and not worry about!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE wood looking ceramic tile!   It's gorgeous, easy to clean, cheap, and DURABLE!  Since it's a little colder to the feet, a lot of people put down rugs, and hence protecting it more!   Spills? not a problem!    If 1 cracks... it's an easy fix of removing and putting a new, single 1 down... so much better!    If you have a horrible tenant need to do an overhaul-- easy to mop and clean!     The only negative, is that it's $$$ to install, but it's worth it in my eyes!  

Bite the bullet and go ceramic tile. 2x2 with small grout lines. Lasts forever. Low maintenance.

Vinyl plank is better than tiles.

Especially if there is any damage, those glue strip vinyl planks are very easy to replace a few planks. Ceramic tiles are difficult to repair. No no.

Originally posted by @Peter Sautter :

Bite the bullet and go ceramic tile. 2x2 with small grout lines. Lasts forever. Low maintenance.

The OP is in a colder climate. As sensible as it is for the sunbelt, cold tile floor would turn off many tenants in WA unless radiant heat were installed like I did for my kitchen and bath.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.