6 vs 9 vs 12 year water heaters? Which is best?

15 Replies

I've been buying the 9 year water heaters lately from Home Depot and have been thinking about purchasing the 12 year heaters from now on but is there really that much of a difference between a 6 year and a 12 year other than the warranty? I've heard they use 2 anodes in a 12 year. Is it really worth the extra money, sometimes over $200-250 more than the 6 year tank? I plan on flushing all my heaters once in the spring and once in the fall every year and replacing the anodes every 3 years or so. I've done some research and found many people say the 9 and 12 year tanks are just a rip off. I want to buy the best product for the value. What do you put into your properties and generally with proper maintenance, how long are they lasting? 

I see alot of 12-18 year old tanks in the properties I purchase and aside from being limed up, they function. I just replace them with a new one to save hassles later.

If you plan on servicing as you state a 6 year will last as long as a 12 year.

The water heater in my own house lasted 25 years before it finally experienced a rust pinhole. Hard water actually helps preserve a water heater by lining the inside. Mineral build up is hard on gas water heaters, because you heat from the bottom and the mineral build up makes them have to run longer, but on an electric heater it's just build-up on the heating rods, which can be replaced, and of course maintaining your anode. If you maintain the anode you are likely to get a very long life out of the heater. 

As I've been told it, they're all the same heater, and you just pay more for a longer warranty.

you are just paying for the warranty. The units are the same

@Samantha Klein

Your water/maintanance will determine how long the heater will last not the cost or warranty length. We have numerous 25-possibly 40 yr old electric water heaters that simply need and element replaced and a cleaning every few years. These have high lime content water. We also have a 4 plex with 4 6 yr heaters with high iron water that has never needed service.(15 yrs) These have high Iron water.  We have gotten really good at maintaining the heaters and learning their nuances. I don't remember the last water heater we replaced....Oh wait.. I do... It was a fancy gas power vented unit that was installed when I had focus on energy do energy upgrades..1800 bucks.. So never buy these units.. I have a few of them that need regular service by a contractor..

Just thought I would follow up..

You know the saying about karma..

Just had 2 water heater tanks go in one week.. No repairing these ones.. One was 23 yrs old one was 25. 

@Peter B. Ouch that always sucks. They sure paid for themselves though over the years. Where do you typically purchase water heaters at? 

Don't buy many really. I would say fleet farm. 

These were 28 gallon shortys that had to be special ordered, fortunatly I found one at menards that was never picked up they sold me that one last week. When I realized how hard these were to get I ordered one from ace to deliver to the store in my home town. It is in today, I'm going to pick up right now and install ugh!

I read a post of yours about th .8 toilets.. How are those working out?? I was reluctant to purchase as the only thing as bad as wasting water is unclogging toilets. I asked my plumber buddy about them he said they double flush so much that the savings wasn't much?? Just curious to here your experience. I just bought a 22 unit with about 19 1977 5 gallon a flush toilets. Tanks is aboutthe size of a mini fridge lol. Replaced 6 so far with the 1.2s.. Was considering .8s but just wasn't sure.

Thanks Peter

Honestly all we've installed were 10 year heaters, it really depends on the water that's going through it. To be honest most water heaters last between 10 and 15 years, very rarely will they fail before the 10 year mark, Ive replaced so many that hit the 10 to 12 year mark and they let loose, some have been 20 years.

I hear people say they have to double flush the 0.8 ones but I have them in all my units and my personal unit and very rarely does it not go down the first time. All of my tenants like them. I've had no complaints and they've been installed in some for almost a year.

@Samantha Klein

Not sure who your electric provider is, but Central Wisconsin Electric Coop has some pretty big rebates on new water Heaters. Like 100 bucks on a new electric to electric. They will pay for the entire tank if swaping gas to electric. Learned this while scrambling last week to find these 28s. 

I'll have to look into the .8 toilets. I have a four plex where the water costs more than tap beer lol. 

Thanks for sharing

Peter

We have We Energies here. I use gas heaters whenever possible. It sounds like you should start charging for the water there lol

The Cu plumbing on older style heater was thicker then. Both me and utility company service man got a 6 year design dated from 1999 and both work well. However, for personal use I recommend the most expensive warranty as the labor involved is cost prohibitive. A 6 year heater crapped out after 1.5 year, thermocouple was defective.  

The 9 vs 12 year often is you are paying for 3 year warranty for same heater. You can buy warranty and see it is cheaper. Now, I am dealing with tankless H2O heater, a totally different ball game. Way way more costly than regular heater.

what we have been doing is when we buy a property, if the water heater is older, we replace it with an electric, even if its a gas one, they are $300 to buy and $150-200 to have replaced, last one my PM did was $534 and he ran new wire back to the panel for it, I use the electrics because they are about half the cost of a gas, and one less source of Carbon Monoxide, we also always put Isolation valves and flexible connections in so when we need to replace its quick and easy.  we buy the 6 year ones, get about 10 out of them

Hello! I run a plumbing distribution company and sell wholesale to contractors. So I see a lot of heater sales and warranties as well. You are correct that the heaters used to last a very long time however Ive noticed since the government guidelines (NAECA) have changed the standard requirements of water heaters it seems that most tank type water heaters typically last 6-10 years on average. Obviously there are many factors that determine the lifespan of a hot water heater (i.e. geological location, water condition and correct water heater sizing to name a few). With that being said I see most professional plumbers buying 6yr heaters. The warranty for basically any water heater is parts and labor one year and the tank itself is what is warrantied for the entire 6yr timeframe. So it really depends on if you pay a plumber to install your heater they will still charge you to install the replacement heater if it’s been over a year but you would still get a replacement heater at no charge (warranty on this heater now only is warrantied the remainder of the original heaters warranty). So to me your better of getting a 6 yr heater and saving the upfront money because when you do replace the next heater you’ll have the new warranty to work off of. I also recommend calling the manufacturer from the date of install so the warranty is activated and they have record of it. If you don’t you could get short changed on the life of the warranty (example would be if the heater sat on the inventory shelf for a year prior to you buying). I think it’s great if you do maintenance on your tank water heater but frankly most people and professionals don’t do any. Tankless water heaters do require a yearly flush but that’s a different topic. Hope this helps, any questions on heaters or plumbing please let me know.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here