What is the best book on marketing for beginners?

5 Replies

Hey BP,

During some personal evaluation I have come to the realization I know very little about marketing in general. Does anyone have any good suggestions on a book on marketing for beginners? Thanks in advance for the help. Go BP!

John.

What kind of deals are you looking to do?

That will change the kind of marketing that you need to do.

I like multifamily and buy and hold. That being said I'm looking for one that will give me a general idea on marketing. I found that if it is deal specific the content is restricted to the writers perception and view point looking at that deal. Basically if its deal specific and the writer doesn't think something will work for that type of deal he will exclude it. Maybe Im off my rocker.

@John Robb

My two favorites right now:

- Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant by W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne

- Purple Cow by Seth Godin (and a lot of Seth Godin's works for that matter)

@Dave Van Horn

Thank you very much. I will get these 2 and give them a read. I super appreciate the recommendations.

So it sounds like you want to write letters to multifamily property owners. If so, then you need to learn to write letters or what is known as direct response marketing. It's an old business and there are books close to 100 years old on the topic. Direct response marketing was THE only marketing until the radio and then the TV came along. Maybe you've heard of the "Sear's Catalog." Maybe not, but I'm sure your grandma bought lots of stuff out of it. Lots of great books direct response marketing. I've read most of the old ones. I don't think any one book was a leader of the pack. I found lots of good info in each book. So, read one book and maybe you pick up one idea... or maybe not. But, if you read 20 books, you're sure to learn several great ideas to accomplish your goal.

One of my favorites is The Letter Book by Robert Collier (80 years old!). It's as thick as a phone book, but I found lots of great ideas to incorporate into my direct response marketing methods. Search it on Amazon, then scroll down to the "Customers who bought this also bought" section and be ready to unload some money because there lots of great books in there to read.

I'd probably avoid all the Dan Kennedy stuff. He just seems really good at selling you more of his own stuff. Every other page of any of his books refers to some other book he wrote. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.