Do you have a go-to or favorite paint color for your properties?

43 Replies

Looking for something that is very non-offensive and a crowd pleaser. Thanks!
I meant to ask for specific brands too.

Here in California we are into earth tones.Beige with chocolate brown or medium grey for exterior combined with light grey or two tone for the interior.Blues and greens are more popular in coastal properties. “Sandstone” Beige by Dunn and Edwards is among my favorite soothing colors.

I have used a light gray or a sand / tan in all of mine. I Try doing them all the same so touch ups are easy (don’t have to remember what one has what). But every so often I will have a place that another color fits better. As long as you stick with neutral / earth tones you should be good. Never had anyone complain about any of those.

Sherwin Williams SW 7029 - Agreeable Gray

It's a very neutral gray that can almost look off white.  It pops well with painted woodwork.

We've been using Creamy Mushroom by Behr from Home Depot. Everyone seems to like it. It's dark enough to hide imperfections and marks but still a light enough color for a small apartment with little natural light. I recently realized we needed one color of paint and trim for all properties so that repaints and touchups would be easier. This was after a tenant tried to touchup nail holes using a matched paint and we ended up having to repaint the whole place... not fun.

Beige, sand, tan what ever you choose to call it. It will never go out of style in a rental as opposed to choosing the "flavour of the month" colours.

Buy it by the 5 gal pail and use it in all units every room. Touch up between tenants is very easy.

Never allow a tenant to paint or change the colour as it only adds more time and work when they leave.

we do light grey inside a little darker outside

Tan has been out of date around here for many years 

Medici Grey by Glidden from Home Depot. Everyone around me uses white for walls and trim both. I use grey for the walls and white on trim and my properties stay rented in fact I have a few tenants who say they will die in their home.

Beige/tan in rentals never actually goes out of style it is simply that small investors like to put personal touches on their properties.

Beige/tan is more of a investment choice as opposed to a style choice. Renters do not expect boutique accommodations and will accept the standard.

Once you have a larger number of units with regular turnover simple, quick and least expensive becomes the best business option.

Filtered shade- it’s a true gray. Doesn’t look purple in different light. Use this in bedrooms

Cool Sheets- nice light blue. Use it in bathrooms and laundry rooms.

Semi gloss white on trim.

In addition to my real estate work, I sold Benjamin Moore Paints for years to Homeowners, Investors and paint/coatings pros. I also tended to act as the 'onsite color consultant' at each of my stores.      As others have stated, any of the typical tans and beiges are reasonably sound;  I would also say that taupes have been on the rise for a long time, and are safe. (If you're not sure what a taupe is, then generally take a 'tan' or 'beige' and add a healthy amount of gray;  sometimes they can come off a bit green, too, but they're "neutral" not really GREEN by any stretch.  

A few examples? 

Shaker Beige, Bleeker Beige, Powell Buff, Bradstreet Beige, Richmond Bisque, Litchfield Gray, Grant Beige, Manchester Tan,  Rockport Gray,  Revere Pewter, Edgecomb Gray  and colors in/around these hues all are reasonably safe. 

Notice, too, that all the colors I just listed are from the historical collection-- they tend to be safer because back in the time which the colors are replicating, they simply didn't have the pigments available to create extremely bright tones.   Many colors in the giant 1000+ hue wall units that you see in the shop are similar to these and there's nothing wrong with them by any stretch, but if you just want a safe, timeless palate of 150 or so available to you as a go-to, then stick with the Historical Colors.  

AVOID YELLOW IF YOU CAN.   Look, yellow is a very nice color...  but it's among the most challenging to get correct in the space, and 99 out of 100 people choose a yellow that's just too vibrant, especially when sunlight starts to strike the color and reflect it around the room.  I can't count the numbers of people who have tried to bring custom yellows back to me to tone them down.  

When you're looking to purchase a yellow, Aim for a WHITE with a creamy-yellowish-hue, and above all, avoid the greener-yellow tones at all costs.  No matter how "light" they seem in the store, you always get the feeling that a schoolkid went nuts and colored the walls with a highlighter.   If you've got to pick a yellow for a kitchen... or a laundry room or darker hallway-space  then my favorite yellows are Montgomery White, Philadelphia Cream,  Monterrey White, and Hepplewhite ivory.  They're usually 'yellow enough' without giving you a migraine.  In areas with no/less light, then you can take Montgomery and enhance it ever-so-slightly...  but not much.  

Feel free to reach out if you have other questions.  I still work as a color consultant from time to time, for the fun of it.   

I go for the old Windows 3.1 hot dog stand color scheme, red walls, yellow trim...

White is my go-to. It's cheap. Especially semigloss white on trim. The main consideration for white trim is that when you replace windows in cheaper older homes for rentals or flips, which is what we do, you're mostly limited to white vinyl for budgetary reasons.

Because I can't stop buying quality paint/primer in 1 $9-$10 mistints, I have different colors everywhere but stick with earth tones, creamy greens and tans, for the most part.  

If a new place comes up, I grab one from my well-stocked shelf.  If a tenant is getting an upgrade, I bring a few colors to choose.  Haven't waited at a store for paint to be mixed or paid retail for paint in 12 years.  Good thing with 87 bedrooms.

I store the unused gallons/pails under the places for touch-up later.  Here's a 1913 apt that needed 'definition' between the dining room and living room.

Martha Stewart Lamb. Its an off-white that is more in the tan family than anything else, is warm but not too yellow.

I use Conco Squaw Valley in everything...and white in closets and garages. Buy it at Menards

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

Beige/tan in rentals never actually goes out of style it is simply that small investors like to put personal touches on their properties.

Beige/tan is more of a investment choice as opposed to a style choice. Renters do not expect boutique accommodations and will accept the standard.

Once you have a larger number of units with regular turnover simple, quick and least expensive becomes the best business option

I️ ageee beige/tan is still acceptable in many areas around ontario 

In our area beige/tan was the go to color 15 years ago 

Grey is the go to color and has been for years. Of course it costs the exact same as out of date beige 

I use SW Repose Gray in both flips and rental properties. It’s a real crowd pleaser! It is the most versatile gray out there and goes with any flooring, any cabinet color, any countertops!

I learned my lesson the hard way with white. I used white in an expensive modern flip, but I had to clean the walls or touch up paint about 50 times. Also white shows every single imperfection in the walls, so you’ll spend more time and money trying to make everything flawless.

I have 5 small buildings that I've had forever, and we found much success in painting all of them the same color. both interior walls and exterior. The colors I use are Dunn Edwards Mission Trail for the exterior of the buildings, and  Porous Stone for the Interiors walls, with plain white for the interior trims. I've been super happy with the quality of the product from Dunn Edwards , and my tenants seem to really love the colors. Good luck to you.

Revere pewter if you’re not panting everything white.

I don't  do rentals, but so far my flips have been SW Realist Beige main walls, SW Spalding Gray accent walls and SW Cotton White trim/doors/wainscoting. I may be doing gray tones in the next house.

Keep it neutral.

Beige and white trim. I've settled on a standard: walls Ben Moore premix color Navajo White, actually a beige, and trim Swiss Coffee, a warmish white, originally a Behr color that I get mixed at my Moore dealer.  Just enough contrast to pop a little.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.