Kitchen cabinet painting hack

4 Replies

i have painted lots of cabinets and usually spray them with oil based paints out of an automotive type setup, to get a factory like finish, but no more!

I tried cabinet rescue with a mini foam roller in white and got as good as sprayed results. It lays out so nice and flat!

The extra seceret ingredient on this project was a couple of coats of rustoleum 2x matt clear right out of the aerosol can! Unbelievable factory like results, with a gorgeous sheen, and way less trouble than my old method.

It only takes a tiny bit of effort to get even coverage with the clear, i had to get the lighting at an angle to effectively see the wet edge of the clear going on.

Let's see some photos! I have ugly toffee colored cabinets in my current house and am entertaining painting them and then lining them with a "glazing" look... always like to hear different techniques.

I did try to get photos, but just could not get the detail with the phone camera:-(

The cabinet rescue is awesome by itself but the matt clear really pushes it over the top, with an ideal (imho) low gloss finish. I tried semi gloss laquer but that was way too shiny

I have found tsp substitute to be great at cleaning and degreasing cab doors before paint, then a light sand with 150 or 220. The cabinet rescue can even be used over laminate btw. I removed the doors for this project to convert to hidden hinges, which i tried xxi hinges that dont require drilling cups in the doors.

The boxes and doors got two coats of cabinet rescue, and used a quart and a half for the entire kitchen. I had to do a little sanding on the cab resue to remove some imperfections that got in the wet paint.

With the doors horizontal i applied the clear, two heavy coats, and did not even clear coat the boxes (cant tell the difference between the cleared doors and uncleared boxes when reinstalled. Valspar makes a matt clear you can roll/brush on, which i was going to use for the whole project to avoid spraying indoors,but i could not find it locally.

Since the doors get all the abuse from handling, it was important to me to have the extra protection on them.

I did not anticipate how much i would like the look and feel of the matt clear!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.