Need plumbing advice on a gas line.

7 Replies

Hello. I am building a new house and the plumbers installed the gasline and the gauge drops down about 3/4 PSI a day. The company says that it only needs to hold 15 PSI for 15 minutes to pass inspection. (It does).

That doesn’t sit well with me that it drops slowly. But then I am a perfectionist and would like someone else’s opinion.

I understand the PSI fluctuates with outside temperature and I have only been able to stop by in the evenings. 

About what PSI is normal for it to remain throughout phase of construction? 

Is this acceptable? I don’t just mean to pass inspection. I want a solid gas line. Should I call out  another plumbing company?

Thanks.

@Daniel Lee This is likely acceptable based on the building code.  I have had a similar situation as you describe. You can ask them to fix it, but its likely going to be hard to convince them to do anything, since it passes code.

Since most gas service is at an even lower pressure, ~5psi, any real lose will be negligible.  

Is the house in rough-in stage, or finished stage?  If its rough in stage, you could have them pressure it up and spray each threaded joint with soapy water to see if you can find the leak. But loosing only 0.75psi drop over several hours will be hard to find.  If you find it, hopefully its on a joint that can be tightened.  But your most likely at finished stage, which will make finding the leak very difficult.  

Depends on what it's pumped up to. If you have something pumped up to 3 figures - say 100 psi or more - and you lose less than a pound a day, I wouldn't worry about it (except there's no reason to be pumping gas lines that high). If it's pumped up to 10-15 PSI and you're losing that much, I would be concerned. Gas runs off of low pressure and it is not pure, so barring a constant feed it's going to lose a little bit anyway, but any line that went completely dead in 2 weeks is leaking somewhere as no pipe material or fitting should be that porous. 

@Daniel Lee the point is that a gas line should not leak - at all. If the pressure drops due to temperature variation, then the pressure should rise again when the temperature rises. If that doesn’t happen then the pressure will continue to drop over the course of several days, and the plumber needs to fix it.

Hello all. Thanks for response. I have not drywalled yet. 

I talked to the county building inspector and he said it was to code. (Doesn’t sit right with me that small leaks are acceptable).

I may have fixed the problem I will know later on today when I head out there. 

I pumped it up to 15 PSI and it held all day yesterday (atleast 12 hours). Code is 15 PSI for 15 minutes.

15 psi is quite a bit of pressure.  The actual working pressure is measured in ounces per square inch.  15 pound psi is probably 100x the working pressure of around 2.5 oz psi.

Do you know what how far the PSI normally drops and about where it should remain until I physically release the air?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.