Lights Keeps Burning Out

6 Replies

Hi fixers,

I hired a handyman to do my electrical and am sure this issue will reoccur again during the future. What I had the handyman do was rewirse 2 sepearate lights into one. Its a 120V circuit. I replaced the dimmer light switch myself but flipped it upside down so my roommates could have it go up and down in the way the other switches in the house are. The new led light installed that morning burnt out. We though lt it was a defective light and so we got the same one again at home depot. In 2 weeks the light burned out again. 

Any ideas on why this would happen and other situations where mt bad electrical work will mess up other parts of the house? I am trying to become more handy for my flips but cant have things blowing out all the time. Could it just be the model of light?

@Cody Evans It could be that the neutral is floating.  That can cause an over-voltage condition - meaning that everything on that circuit and possibly others is at risk.

Oh yes - it can also burn the place down if the over-voltage causes an electrical fire.

Quick check - get a voltmeter at the hardware store.  Set it to measure AC voltage.  The reading should be 117 volts, +/-5%.  

Next, get a receptacle tester.  These plug into outlets to indicate faults like reverse wiring, open grounds and dead outlets. 

The best bet is to get a licensed electrician to look at it.  Pronto.

Charlie MacPherson, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9532146)
781-412-4151

Is the dimmer designed to be used on LED lighting. If not then that is the likely cause of your problem.

Are the light blubs made to be dimable as some are not.  If the blub is overheating it will cause the blub to burn out faster, common in "can" lights.

I'm an electrician and have had problems dimming certain LED's. The driver, similar to a fluorescent ballast, will burn out quickly if it doesn't receive the proper voltage. Check first if the LED says "dimmable" on the box or in the directions. If it doesn't, you'll have to get a fixture that does. 

Also, don't go cheap on the wall dimmers themselves. Look to pay between 25 and 50 bucks. The extra money you spend on the dimmer will outweigh the costs of new LED drivers.

my friend is an electrician and he said with LEDs the dimmer should be the same brand as the bulb. That isn't always possible because not all bulb makers have a dimmer but since LED bulbs should last 20 years and never burn out they just lose light output they are dying way too fast.

Thank you all and I will go ahead and hire the electrician. Definitely dont want the house burning down! The led and dimmer are compatible and 2 men at home depot verified this so I am pretty confident I am right about the dimmers being compatible. Any ideas on reasonable quote$ from electricians?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.