Seed lawn installation - best practices prior to planting

4 Replies

I have roto-tilled and flattened my back yard, what are some of the further things I should be doing to ensure my seed lawn looks perfect for open house? What are some tips before I lay the seed for an enduring, quality lawn that will look it's best? I don't mind spending the extra capital to ensure this seed-lawn looks it's best, so long as that extra effort helps to make the sale!

why not lay down a sod lawn? Then you have a lawn in a day and it will settle in after about a week or so. 

I would imagine seeding a lawn in the middle of winter would be difficult. 

Barbara,

I have seeded and laid sod on many projects, hands down for me sod is the winner.

It's instant and  less fussy. 

With seed you need the right conditions, cooler nights and warm days are what germinates the seed. I have also found that if you comb your hair wrong that day you can end up with an uneven lawn.

Use sod.

541-613-7136

Check you soil Ph and adjust from there.   You probably need Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorous fertilizer.  I grow about 10 acres of food plots.

Even though my surname is Seed, I think your capital is better spent on Sod. Easier installation, no fuss no muss. Cheers

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.