Converting a single family to multi-family

2 Replies

There is a house I am interested in making an offer on. However, before I do, I would like to know how difficult it is to convert it to a multi-family home.

For starters, I already looked it up, and its zoned as multi-family. So would I be forced to convert it if I bought it?

What all needs to be done to convert it? Obviously, each needs a kitchen and bathroom. How do I get different utilities hooked up for each? How do I get it registered as two different addresses? etc.

What can I do myself and what do I need to outsource? 

it depends on how many units you are planning on having. If you are only converting it to a duplex it stays under the uniform dwelling code which covers 1 and 2 family homes in Wisconsin. If you go 3 units or more in 1 building it will fall under the international building code. 

If you use the uniform dwelling code it's pretty straight forward. If you use the international building code you may be required to provide a sprinkler system and meet FHA requirements.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I can answer them for you. 

Andy,

Unless a project is straight forward  I will always go to the building dept with a list of questions, our building dept is always more than accommodating and takes the time needed to answer all questions.

Explain to them what you are intending to do and you will be guided to the correct information.

You will not be forced to convert the property.

In our jurisdiction you would need to sub everything and depending on how many projects you are doing a year may need a contractors license.

541-613-7136

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.