Order of Operation for (almost) gut rehab

8 Replies

Hello All,

I would like to avoid paying for a general contractor and coordinate everything myself. 

1) Is there at general order of operation I should go through to get the (almost) gut rehab done? 

2) Are there rookie mistakes to avoid and things to look out for?

Thank you for any and all help!

Danny

@Danny Ondik - check your local laws to make sure you can operate as the GC. In some cases, depending on the value of repair, you can't. In NC, it was something like if the work was under $30k or $35k you could do it yourself, otherwise you needed a license. 

J-Scotts rehab book is great and lists order of items.

Here is a rough list:

1) Gut

2) Framing - Roof, Siding, Windows

3) Plumbing rough in

4) Electrical rough in(You can run electric and plumbing at the same time, but I found it is easier to move electrical than it is a vent stack for plumbing)

5)HVAC

6) Drywall

7) Trim

8) Paint/Spraying

9) Finishes & Flooring, Electrical/Plumbing Final, landscaping

10) Clean, paint touch ups & Appliances

Thank you, @Andrew Kerr

Great advice to check my local laws, I've never heard of that before so I will be sure to. 

Set a realistic budget before starting.

@Danny Ondik -- I'm so glad you posted this.  I was sitting on the, er, "in my office" thinking to myself that I needed to research the order in which to execute a gut rehab so that I could (eventually) act as my own general contractor.  The exact phrase that popped into my mind was "order of operation" just like 7th grade math!

[My apologies for any unpleasant visuals conjured up by the "in my office" comment!]

@Andrew Kerr -- At what point do you typically measure for and order kitchen cabinets and countertops?  Also, are there other significant "lead time" items that need to be ordered?

@Danny Ondik if your asking these questions then you are better off hiring a general contractor as in the long run it will save you money. Not knowing how to manage scopes of Work can lead to contractors walking and claims.

This is one of the biggest mistakes I see in real estate.

@Ryan H. as soon as any framing and plumbing rough in is done you can measure for cabinets. Just make sure to account for space for the drywall. 

I actually tell my customers to call me before they rough, so we can make a layout and make sure you put everything in the right location, and then come back for final measurements if needed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here