Ugly exterior door aluminum threshold

3 Replies

Currently turning over a unit where previous tenant(s) must have dropped heavy pointed stuff down the doorway because it made a few dents on the aluminum threshold.

Also previous owner painted (WHITE GLOSSY LATEXT PAINT!!!) on the threshold and it's wore down.  So I too a wire brush on a grinder and cleaned it best I can.

Still it looks like ****.

I was debating to replace the entire door but on a tight schedule I decided to wait.

Thoughts?

Will spray on metal primer plus a few coats of metallic paint work?  Or will that wear out in no time?  If it lasts 1 year I am OK with that.

Paint stripper to remove the paint?  leave the sill if possible.  They do sell replacements but you might have to try and cutout the old one?  Pix didn't come through so I cant see it 

Oil rubbed bronze is the only metallic spray paint I like...the rest I’ve tried have shiny flecks. I bet it would look fine and wear down looking much better than white...no paint will perform great on a threshold. I doubt many people notice/care much about the door threshold, but I commend your attention to detail.

@Sam Leon

I agree a crappy threshold gives a bad first impression. I think spray paint will hold up ok. The options are limited and the issue is color. You could use appliance paint, truck bedliner or that roll on bathtub paint, but the color options are really limited. If it were me I would use this,

https://duplicolor.com/product/wheel-coating

Just make sure you prep it according to the directions.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.