Seller Responsibility for Pool Pump?

7 Replies

We closed on a property in December, and along with the house came an in ground pool. The seller's only held the property for 7 months or so and I don't believe they ever ran the pool pump. When we first looked at the property the pool barely had any water in it, and the sellers never spoke to the functionality of the pump.

Before we closed the sellers installed a new sump pump and ran it through the pool pump, and it is consistently pushing water through the pump and out the drain at the bottom of the pump. Our concern is that the pump won't function come spring, we're worried about he lines freezing and breaking, or internal components of the pump being damaged.

So the question is, do we have any recourse against the sellers if the pump is not functional come spring? Or did we lose out since we didn't bring it up during inspection? Any attorneys out there that can chime in?

If you did not inspect the pump or address your concern prior to closing and the sellers were not aware of a problem the pump is your problem The cost of a pool pump is under a $1000 bucks so an attorney solution would be cost prohibitive  

Part of our thought process is that they installed this sump pump after our inspection was completed. The property was sold to us by a contracting company, they purchased it from the bank as a foreclosure. We're wondering if the fact that they did the work after our inspection period works in our favor at all. I don't believe the sump pump should have ever been run through the pool pump line.

Nope. You could have addressed it before closing if you chose to, but it’s yours now.

The owner has changed the conditions of the property after you inspected it and not at your request.  You should be allowed to re-inspect any new work done by the owner.

Does water from the sump pump actually go through the pool pump or just through the same line that the pool pump discharges through for backwash and draining? And is the pool pump inside or out? (with your freezing concern I'm assuming outside)

@Grant Rothenburger the sump pump pumps into PVC that runs into the pump, and the water discharges from the drain in the bottom of the pump. Yes, the pump is outside.

Originally posted by @Mark Smith :

@Grant Rothenburger the sump pump pumps into PVC that runs into the pump, and the water discharges from the drain in the bottom of the pump. Yes, the pump is outside.

As long as the drain is open on the pump (like you described) I don't think freezing and not working will be an issue, but I could be wrong. I do think there will be an issue when you're using the pump in the summer and get a heavy rain, the sump pump comes on, pushes water into a pump that is already full of water, can't go anywhere and backs up into your basement.

Idk if a lawyer and court would be worth it but I would at least threaten it since they did make changes after the inspection, but that becomes your word vs. theirs in court unless you have proof. 

If it is running into the pump via pvc piping can you just divert it before it gets to the pump? 

One last question, where is the pump discharging water for backwash and draining? is it going to the sump pump?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here