Generalize about Home Improvement Stores

5 Replies

I don't think that this already exists, but I have noticed that some home improvement stores may offer better products and/or pricing in certain product categories.  ie.  Lowes has the best bathroom fixtures for the price or Menards has the best prehung solid core doors for the money etc.  I have spent my fair share of time in Home depot, but would love to hear from some of you guys that are consistently making your rounds in the Home Improvement Stores to find the best deals.  What products are some of these stores offering consistently at such a value that it is worth driving across town to take advantage?

I'm pretty much stuck with just HD and Lowes.  I like HD's vinyl flooring better.  The Allure brand is top notch.   We do have a Foxworth Galbraith one mile away instead of the 15 miles to the other two, but I just use it for when I need something small.  For the most part, their prices are higher enough to make a major trip worth going the extra miles.

I have found the best and most cost effective way to get good deals is to have my wife doit. She loves to find good deals and I will always go for convenience.

541-613-7136

@Steve StMartin , marrying a good women is some of the best advice that anyone could get. 

To bump this post as I think it will add some great value to the BP community here is a headstart:

Home improvement stores: Home depot, Lowes, Menards, ACE, Southerlands, Meeks, lumber liquidators etc

Product types: construction supplies (sheetrock, roofing etc), electrical fixtures, vanities, kitchen cabinets, countertops, flooring, landscaping, Prehung doors, windows, appliances, HVAC etc

Who is the best at what?

I find moldings better at Lowes, and some kinds of door hardware. But HD is much closer, so they get most of my business. Fortunately I also have a specialty lumber yard, Dykes, nearby for the serious stuff.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.