HVAC Certification - Mini Split Heat Pump - Cincinnati

4 Replies

Hey There, 

I was told that you don't have to get a permit to install your own Mini-Split Heat Pumps if you instead get certification for installing them. My understanding is that Johnstone Supply runs some courses to get certified. 

Does anyone know which course a person would need to take to become certified to install a Mini-Split Heat Pump so that they do not have to get a permit for installing them? 

Or does this sound like crazy talk? 

Thanks guys N gals! 

@Ben Gammon

Call your local building dept to verify this is true.  In my area you need both.

@Ben Gammon
You need to have EPA certification in order to purchase, install or service any type of HVAC equipment containing ozone depleting refrigerants. This has nothing to do will local code requirements.

Local codes will typically require you to pull building, electrical and plumbing permits to install any type of HVAC equipment.

This post has been removed.

Hey Ben,

Are you talking about your 4-family? The City of Cincinnati is definitely going to want that to be permitted without a doubt, especially since it's a 4-unit property, which the city doesn't treat as residential. I'd be happy to connect you with people who could let you know more about the permitting situation if you'd like.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.