Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
My Painter is backed up 3 weeks . So I picked up the brush

Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Posted Feb 9 2018, 17:20

I just picked up a new rental about 2 weeks ago A nice 2/1 with a unfinished basement . Been going over everything , called my painter last week and he tells me he is swamped and cant get there for 3 weeks .  Damn . I have a tenant moving in 3 weeks from now . 

Well painting isnt as easy as it looks .  1 day fixing nail pops , caulking cracks , and assorted drywall repairs .  Another day and a half cutting in the wood trim (2 coats), doors  ( 3 coats due to bleed through )  and 2 closets , and a pantry  and the entire ceiling , all semi gloss white . Another 1/2 day sanding walls , the rest of the day cutting in around windows , doors , and the entire perimeter of the ceiling .  Then finally the easy part , rolling the walls 1 day  for 2 coats.  Four days total , 10 hour days . Three gallons of mud , and 12 gallons of paint .  

Next is the basement , right now its ugly , 4 block walls painted green in some areas , light blue in others , and 1/2 the floor was painted.  This is where I spray . I am doing the unfinished ceiling ( bare 1954 dry wood . This will suck up the paint .  I buy mis tinted paints in light colors and use them as primer , mix them together and use them to seal the wood and get the walls an even color . then finish with semi gloss white .  

The fun part is power washing the walls and floor .  

This is another 3 day project to be done next week . 

I see why painters charge what they do . Its not hard , but its tedious .  

Loading replies...