DIY or farm it out? An informal poll.

3 Replies

Hi! About to start my first diy reno on a property. My workforce will likely be yours truly plus one hired helper. What would you tackle on your own vs hiring a pro on? 1. demo of parquet and vinyl flooring in living and kitchen 2. Demo of tile in baths 3. Painting cabinets 4. Interior paint 5. Changing bath vanity 6. Changing light fixtures I’m pretty handy but not a professional construction background. Thanks in advance for any tips!

That all depends on you and your skill set. I out source what I hate to do. If there is a basement I will do all the plumbing. If it is a crawl space I outsource it, don't like climbing under there. I do most of the electrical because of the cost and I kinda enjoy electric. I do all my own tile as I love tile work. I do my own hardwood floors but let a pro do the carpet. Carpet and I don't get along. Everything on your list is very basic and something I would ask my wife to do other then light fixtures. I don't think she would do those, might I never asked. 

If I am under a tight deadline I often outsource interior and exterior painting because its not that hard. Lots of people can do it. 

I out source the work I do not like. I contract roofing ,due primarily to my age, and dry wall mudding which takes me too long to do economically myself.

I do pretty much everything else myself on full gut renos.

I did demo, paint, flooring, light fixtures, and replaced the toilet. I contracted out roof, siding, gutters, drywall, framing.

While I saved thousands by doing work myself I will say that I am way slower than contractors. Not only that but I made mistakes that wasted time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here