Tim Kaminski
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Replacing Old Windows- Need Advice

Tim Kaminski
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Posted Mar 15 2018, 13:11

BP,

Looking to replace the majority of my duplexes windows sometime in the future.  This is a 1920's stick house located in Tampa, Fl and there are about 20-25 windows that are just single pane glass or low grade aluminum framed windows that will need to be replaced at some point in my rehabbing.  This is a long term buy and hold for me and I just had central AC installed so was looking for something that held some type of insulation value but was also concerned about hurricane protection as I don't want to be running around to all of my properties in the future putting up plywood.

I wont be paying for heat but the bottom line is these windows will have to be replaced sooner or later.  Am open to the idea of slowly replacing them so I can get quality windows installed.  It is a rental so don't need anything high grade but I don't want to stay up at night thinking my windows are going to shatter next year when Irma 2.0 comes rolling through.

Have been receiving a few quotes from window companies but they are asking $25-40k for removing and installing.  Am somewhat handy  so would rather install myself and save a buck. The rental is in Tampa Heights and around the $900-1,000/Mo range.

• Do those investing in areas prone to hurricanes invest in impact windows or storm shutters?
    • Or do you put in cheap windows and just run around and board up the windows prior to a storm?
  • Do you have any suggestions on where to find solid windows that I can install?  Have heard of Habitat Restore for cheap material and will definitely look into that.
  • Any tips to installing these windows that I need to be aware of?
  • Any advice on insert/pocket windows?  They seem inexpensive but not sure if that is what I would want as they may be less secure for larger storms.

I know I am asking a lot of questions so I appreciate any help you guys can give to a new investor!

Thanks! 

Loading replies...