Using Real Estate to Pay for Law School

2 Replies

Hello All !!

I received my undergraduate degree almost 2 years ago and have been using this time to work as a Paralegal and study for the LSAT. I have sent out all of my applications and am waiting for my decision letters. During this time I’ve been paying off my undergraduate school debts and discovered that I would be footing approximately $1,000-$1500 per month after law school. I have created a goal to find a way to lessen my future debts and after musing through this site, I believe that real estate will help me accomplish this task. 

With this being said, I wanted to open a discussion and ask whether any of you have or know someone who has paid for law school using real estate whether it be house-hacking, wholesaling, etc. while in law school before entering and while working full-time. I am looking for real strategy or general information. Thanks in advance !!

Hello @Alexandria Champion ,

My team and I have helped several people lower their living expenses or live for free using the house-hacking strategy. Some purchase units below market value and add value through renovations and upgrades. Others pay a premium for turn-key properties.

Whether or not you'd be able to cash-flow enough to cover your student loan payments would depend on your market. Finding an investor-friendly agent and a lender in your area should be 2 of your first steps. Of course, you can browse through Zillow and get a sense for what properties are listed for. However, to begin formulating a strategy and action plan, you'll need to find out what your buying power is and you'll need to find the right team of professionals.

Best of luck to you!

Abel

Abel Curiel, Real Estate Agent in NY (#10401295960)

Thank for this, it’s a helpful start, and one that I’ve been considering!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.