Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Dan Earl
  • Moody, AL
Votes |
LVP, Laminate and Carpet all toxic? Do you consider this at all?

Dan Earl
  • Moody, AL
Posted May 11 2018, 13:40

Hello folks!!!

I need to replace the old worn carpet in my home and have been looking at installing new carpet on 2nd floor and also maybe Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) or Laminate for the first floor (living room, bedrooms, bathrooms). 

Just from researching the different types of flooring I inevitably came across their toxicity. 

It seems that Vinyl floors are highly toxic since they are made of PVC, Laminate flooring also toxic since they have formaldehyde and carpets are also toxic since they have fire retardants and stain resistant chemicals. Not to mention the installation of the carpets and Vinyl can also be highly toxic right after installation.

Thing is, it seems everything can be toxic, but if I am at the point in which I can choose then I might as well look into this now and choose what is least toxic based on budget. 

I realize that hard wood floors are the way to go, but it is out of my budget. 

So, do you guys even care about this or just buy whatever for your own homes and look for price and durability OR you also consider the level of cancer causing chemicals these materials expose you and your family to?

If you have looked into this and can suggest maybe a brand or type of flooring that is least toxic and still affordable, please let me know. 

Thanks a lot. 

Loading replies...