Yuck! Lots of rusty water in sump pit

6 Replies

Hoping someone had this issue, and can shed some light.  I have a iron sump pit, with a pump that spits out rusty water to the outside.  where there is a concrete driveway, and it gets stained easily.  I tried flushing the whole system with Rust out and lots of water, but i still have rusty water coming out.  Temporary i extended the pipe with a extension so it lands on grass, but it then blocks parking to side of house.  Someone mention it could be iron bacteria, and to try lemon or chlorine.  Before i do any of that, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.  

hey just some advice from a plumber ive been doing plumbing for 5 years now you said you had a iron sump pit, likely the pit is beginning to corrode and thats the cause of the iron deposits, now a days most pits are made from composit plastics , another possibility is the piping could be the cause if its a metal pipe [iron or galvinized steel ] it could be contaminating the water being pumped out, again most pipes now a days are PVC either sch 40 ,80 or ABS to prevent this issue, it could be the pump is corroded and failing but if its working i doubt that its that ad if the pump was that bad it likely would have failed other than those the only other thing that comes to mind is that it could be something in the basement that is made of iron or steel that is in the pathway to thw water on its journey to the pit. hope this helps

Thanks Jeremy

It does have pvc pipes taking water out, It maybe the sump pit. I called plumber to take look at it closely. Hoping I can get solution figured out soon.

I have seen quite a few homes where the iron is in the  ground water , the people have to monthly clean the sump pit with a garden hose .  But the rust still comes back

Thanks Matthew,

I’m thinking of giving it a good thorough clean. Plumber said to leave it, it’s fine, unless u really want to replace it. Offered to change where it shoots out, but don’t know how to make it less invasive yet. He’ll get back to me, maybe he’ll come up with something.

Do you have any yard space to put in a small drywell? If you discharge to a drywell, you won't have a staining issue because the water outlet will be under ground.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you