Exterior mobile home renovation options

2 Replies

I’m looking to buy a small mobile home park. Most of the units are park owned and need work. They are structurally sound but definitely need cosmetic work inside and out. I’m pretty familiar with cost efficient ways to remodel the interior but I am not well versed in exterior options. I would appreciate your input and ideas on cost efficient options. Thank you

How are they currently sided? I'm guessing that it's wood or vinyl. If it's wood, you are probably best to have it repainted. If it's vinyl, a good pressure washing can go a long ways. Is your ultimate objective to sell off all of these park-owned units?

Originally posted by @Jon Hollingsworth :
I’m looking to buy a small mobile home park. Most of the units are park owned and need work. They are structurally sound but definitely need cosmetic work inside and out. I’m pretty familiar with cost efficient ways to remodel the interior but I am not well versed in exterior options. I would appreciate your input and ideas on cost efficient options. Thank you

I'm guessing they are metal sided. Unless you are planning on selling them owner finance I would not do anything to them much. You could probably do better buying some used wood sided foreclosures cheaper than you could have the work done. I have worked for one REI that was pretty anal about how his stuff looked (nothing wrong with that either). If you tend to be this way it will likely cost you about 10k a unit. You will need to take out the windows and doors and re-hang them or replace them is why I say 10k. 10k could buy you a fairly nice foreclosure. if you dont rehang the windows and doors they will leak and it will cost you anyway.

Feel free to pm me or ask here if you need any advice on this. I have remodeled many mobile homes for the DOE and other REI too.

My suggestion is this. Rent out like the previous owner did and replace them as you find a deal. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you