Sod installation, some brown patches

9 Replies

Hi Community,

I’ve never installed sod before but did so for the first time last Thursday here in Boston. It was a HOT day, but went through with it anyway. A few small sections of the sod are browning even though I’m watering 3x a day. Granted, it’s been ridiculously hot 80-90 degrees almost every day... is this just the result of the heat or could there be another issue?

Many thanks everybody!!

It sure what that is, but for watering.....you’re off soaking/flooding it once a day as opposed to light watering multiple times. You want the water to get down and soak the soil under the roots....that how it gets it water.

Just wanted to check back in here...

So one section of these browned areas, when I inspected it more closely, the grass is literally peeling away from the ground. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking just more watering isn't going to solve this. Here is a photo to see what I'm talking about. Can anyone properly diagnose what is happening here?

Hard to see precisely, but that looks like one edge of the sod, I’m assuming they are rectangles, is on top of the of the one next to it. If the roots underneath are exposed to air, they will die. If that’s the case, cut off the overlapping edge.

1. Water 3x day for about 15-20 min

2. You may not have good root to ground contact on those brown areas.  I'd suggest taking some top soil and filling in the gap between the two sod pieces. Or take a garden spade then cut out the area where the grass is pulling away and replace with top soil or another sod piece

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you