Update subpar fence?

10 Replies

Hey BP! Not sure if this is the correct forum but I have my first property which is a B-/C+ area on the rise. More work needed to be done on the exterior so after painting the house, I wanted to replace the current chain link fence. To me, it’s an eyesore as the top rail is bent in a few spots and just doesn’t attract the type of tenants I want to. The yard is concrete(fun) so I have already figured out how to install a wood fence while keeping the metal posts intact. Wondering : 1. Is this even a good idea? Should I just be happy with a workable fence and not throw more money at the house? Will it benefit me in added value? 2. If I should spend the extra buck and install vinyl fence in hopes that it is less maintenance and will last much longer? I intend to hold for long time. Thanks! Tim
Sorry for jumbled text. Posting via mobile app and though it looked spaced out prior to posting, it seems to not have carried over. Can’t edit via app. Some more background info. Rents are $900 and I may just be talking myself into it but, to me an area on the rise should be helped to rise by making properties nicer and more desirable to live in. Replacing chainlink with wood/vinyl will give tenants pride in where they live and attract better tenants/more positive growth in the area.

Curb appeal is a big deal, so my first thought is to replace the fence. What kind of fences do other houses have in the neighborhood? I hate vinyl fences... they look cheap and tacky to me. If everyone in the neighborhood has a chain link fence then just leave it for now.

But it also depends on what other things may be needing repair... if you have other big ticket items that will need repair then I'd focus your money on those first before worrying about the fence. Plus, you can always replace the fence later on since you're planning to hold it long term.

It's a rental so unless it will increase rents it is not really worth spending the money on a nicer fence. A nicer fence will do nothing to attract better quality tenants or increase a tenants pride. You are giving tenants far too much credit.

If the top rail can not be straightened then maybe consider replacing only the rail. 

@Daniel Caraway The neighborhood is a mix of chainlink/fence/vinyl with the newer homes having vinyl/wood installed.  These are the last items on my list, beatifying the exterior.  Its a concrete yard so trying to help make the house look appealing as much as I can without coming off as a prison yard.

@Thomas S.   I could replace the top rail.  I just personally hate chain link and associate it with low class neighborhoods.  Trying to take steps in the right direction for the area.  Appreciate your response.  I figured it may not increase rents but may help adding value to the home when I go to refinance.

Not really but have seen them on chainlink.  I suggested them because they are close to weeds as far as maintenance....vigorous growers and low water needs...and very pretty.  I always notice what plants look like they are thriving despite any evidence of care.  You could ask what vines take care of themselves around Tampa.  Morning glory can be started from seed...well everything can, but some are easier to grow.

Originally posted by @Tim Kaminski :
Hey BP!

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I have my first property which is a B-/C+ area on the rise. More work needed to be done on the exterior so after painting the house, I wanted to replace the current chain link fence. To me, it’s an eyesore as the top rail is bent in a few spots and just doesn’t attract the type of tenants I want to. The yard is concrete(fun) so I have already figured out how to install a wood fence while keeping the metal posts intact.

Wondering : 1. Is this even a good idea? Should I just be happy with a workable fence and not throw more money at the house? Will it benefit me in added value?

2. If I should spend the extra buck and install vinyl fence in hopes that it is less maintenance and will last much longer? I intend to hold for long time.

Thanks!

Tim

I would do it if the neighborhood allowed. Think on this though and wait a bit before you do it. Lowes and HD have a policy that will cut the lowest price by 5%. In the late winter (it may be different for you in FL since you really have no winter) many lumberyards will put on sale wood fencing. Take that price and go to the big box places and buy yours for 5% less. I know a fence contractor that  does this every year and buys everything in the store for this price and then makes that up when he uses them all year long. 

They will have the metal post clips there too. those things are pretty awesome to change out chain link to wood. Not a fan of vinyl myself as the weed eater will chew it up quick. 

@Mike Reynolds Thanks Mike I will be sure to ask about that next time I am in there. I’m leaning towards doing it as I would be doing the labor myself and don’t think it would be too costly. It’s one of the last items on my list and want to be proud of my property.

@Tim Kaminski Understood completely. I actually got into REI from a client of mine that has many many properties. Sold one for 30 million just to give you an idea of the scale. Anyway, he was a stickler for having his properties looking great. I dont always see that consensus on here but it has worked for him anyway and it appears to be working for me too. I never thought REI was something I could do until he showed me how.

Anyway, best of luck and if I can help in any way just let me know. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you