Water Leaking in Back Door

7 Replies

I have a new tenant that sent me this picture stating the back door was leaking during a heavy rainfall. I lived in the house from Feb 2017 - Jun 2018 and never had a problem with the door leaking.  It's not the best picture but can anyone give any insight on repairing it? She stated the door was "bowed out" slightly? 

Go and fix the problem, you may have to assess it from on site if you plan to fix it yourself it is impossible to tell the fix from this picture but it is something that needs to be fixed.

That's a bummer but that really isn't that much water. Underneath most exterior doors is a rubber seal that contacts the threshold. As time goes on this can wear down or break. To fix you just have to take the door off the hinges and replace it. You can get them at home depot for about 10 bucks with all the door and screen material. 

The other issue you will need to address is drainage away from the house. If water is pooling near the door it could be coming underneath the threshold and the sub floor. When the door was installed they should have laid a bead of caulk to seal it. You may need to install a drain outside or you could build up the surrounding area with some concrete to divert the water away. 

@Becca Barnes You have a threshold/sweep problem. @Peter M. nailed his response dead on if you dont have drainage issues. Easy fix if you take the threshold off and make sure it is sealed and the door bottom is not compromised. I used to have at least one of these a month on my rounds for when I did handyman work. A 3 dollar tube of caulk or 4 dollar NP1 will do wonders for your Tylenol expenditures down the road.

Note, if you live in Cali, that NP1 might cause cancer lol. 

@Becca Barnes

I second what @Peter M. and @Mike Reynolds have said.  I would get the hose out and spray the door down and see where the water is coming in from.  This will help trouble shoot.  The tenant may have not had the door shut all the way.

Only think I would add, you stated the door is bowed?  Take a level with you and see if the door is truly bowed.  Check all directions.  If its bowed its not sealing well, which would allow water in.  Does the door face south or west? There is a slight chance it could be bowed, but I highly doubt it.  There are 2 ways to fix this: 1) replace the weather stripping in the jamb of the door or 2) replace door.

Look at the threshold carefully. Many of them have several large screws that allow you to adjust the height of the threshold. You might be able to raise the threshold slightly to create better contact with the rubber bottom of the door.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you