Adding patio doors? Is it still a bedroom?

5 Replies

This may be a dumb question but I haven’t been able to fine a suitable answer. If I add French doors or a sliding door to a bedroom to the back yard does it convert the bedroom to something else? Someone remodeled this house and added a second bathroom but used the space for the hallway to the back yard. Now I have to go out the side of the house to access the back yard. It was listed as a 3 bedroom 1.75 bath when I bought it. Thanks!
Originally posted by @Tas S. :
This may be a dumb question but I haven’t been able to fine a suitable answer. If I add French doors or a sliding door to a bedroom to the back yard does it convert the bedroom to something else? Someone remodeled this house and added a second bathroom but used the space for the hallway to the back yard. Now I have to go out the side of the house to access the back yard. It was listed as a 3 bedroom 1.75 bath when I bought it. Thanks!

Well, I have a patio door on my personal MBR so I would say yes they can. From what you are saying though with the layout it is not really a good thing. Maybe you need to revisit the layout if this is a flip and change it. Can you post a layout of the house? Someone here that is good with design (not me lol) can help you out maybe. 

Thanks @Mike Reynolds ,
It's not a flip. It's my first home for my wife and I. We have 3 rentals in Memphis and we manage 5 doors for my parents (a quad + a condo). I drew this pretty quick. it's not to scale. I can redraw it (I'm an engineer :P )

the green boxes are windows, the red lines are doors or doorways

Thanks,

-Tas

Many many houses with pools have sliding doors in the master bedroom out to the pool. We have French doors. It’s still a bedroom. You need a closet and a door between you and the hallway.  Can the door to the hallway be glass? I don’t know. But a glass door out the back doesn’t matter. 

@Tas S. Wow that is some kind of weird floor plan.  Being an engineer, you would know local ordinance better than I but to me I think I would add it if allowed. My wife didnt want me to at first because it takes up wall space but now we have a private exit and added light into the room. Now she loves it. The way the bedroom door opens away from the wall is strange too but I see why they did that because of the closet. 

To classify as a bedroom you'd just need two areas of easement and a closet*. It looks to me that all your rooms have a window and a door on opposite or adjacent walls. Adding a sliding glass door doesn't change a bedroom into something else. It's still, by definition, a bedroom. The closet has an asterisk next to it because this rule is flexible and subjective in most states. The rest of the requirements are typical fire code rules. 

(architecture school coming in handy after-all...)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you