Best Concrete Paint for Ugly Patio?

15 Replies

Hey BP,

Working on some final projects for my duplex which has an all concrete yard.  Only thing is that it seems to have been made that way at different times so it is a mixture of plain concrete, painted concrete, painted over pathways, and all different colors.  Wanted to try and find a cost effective solution to making it less of an eyesore for my tenants and future tenants.

Have considered 

• Resurfacing, due to large amount of cracks and such but far too expensive for my liking.  The yard drains properly and thats all I care about.
  • Covering it with pavers.  Again, expensive and quite a large area to cover.  600-800 Sqft.  Also surface is uneven so would think that could get tricky.
  • Putting down a concrete texture from a hopper gun.  This would cover up some cracks, give the surface more uniformity.  I guess I would paint after.
  • And finally, Painting.  Would prefer a textured concrete coating but they all seem rather expensive for not a lot of coverage.  In that case I started just looking at regular concrete paints/stains but couldn't find one that seemed like a standout pick of durability and affordable.  A lot of these products seem to have issues if directions not followed to a T. 

I want a uniform color that will last years but not break the bank on putting it down.  This is a rental in B- area.  Any suggestions from you DIY'ers?

Thanks,

Tim

Here are a few old pics of before I finished painting the exterior to give you guys an idea of what I'm talking about.

@Tim Kaminski

Astroturf! Is one option. Another option is a rubber playground covering. Unfortunately, to do this right its going to have cost due to the shear size of the project.  Here are some links below. I have never used them.   I would guess it runs $10 - 15 a sq ft but never priced it. You can get used astroturf as well.

https://www.aturf.com/

https://www.surfaceamerica.com/

Nothing will be cheaper or faster than concrete paint, if cost is your main concern. Beyond that, a concrete stain will actually last longer but will require some prep work, namely getting the old paint off the existing concrete. In Tampa, concrete paint isn't going to last very long between the rain and high heat, but you can make it last longer by using a light color. 

I wouldn't go through the trouble or cost of putting pavers over that. A resurfacing shouldn't be that expensive - it's just a thin slurry, assuming your existing concrete is stable, that goes over the whole thing, and you can have a pattern stamped into it and have it stained at the same time.  

@JD Martin Any recommendations for brand of concrete paint to use? Was going to use light gray color to help keep heat off. I did get a bid for resurfacing but it was somewhere around 6k if i remember correctly. Not worth it @Linda S. Any recommendations on brand of concrete paint to use?

go to Lowes and get concrete paint and be done with it. don't over think the project. several people with rollers can knock it out in an hour.

Originally posted by @Tim Kaminski :

@Aaron T.  Good point.  Have a bad habit of doing just that.

@Dennis M.   Will check it out.  Thanks

Tim, same here. I often over think stuff, rather than just diving in and getting it done.  i hope it all works out. 

I ended up painting my balcony last week with white concrete paint. it came out pretty good. much better than it looked before i started.

post a pic, when you get a chance of your finished product.

@Aaron T. How did you get away with painting last week? It’s been raining every afternoon where I am and I need to put down primer, wait, then first coat, wait 4-6 hr, 2nd coat, then 24 hr without rain. It’s looking like it won’t be until the end of September that I can get this started without worries a random rainstorm will pass through. Will definitely post updated pics after it’s done.
@Tim Kaminski Some of the deck renew procucts have a sandy texture. You may want to pay up for that if you can get it in concrete because painted concrete can be slipperty when wet. Epoxied concrete is anyway. And that looks like a large area. A second paint job will be smoother as the pores fill in.
Originally posted by @Tim Kaminski :
@Aaron T. How did you get away with painting last week? It’s been raining every afternoon where I am and I need to put down primer, wait, then first coat, wait 4-6 hr, 2nd coat, then 24 hr without rain. It’s looking like it won’t be until the end of September that I can get this started without worries a random rainstorm will pass through.

Will definitely post updated pics after it’s done.

It was not looking good when i was painting, but the rain Gods avoided us for that afternoon and morning. It was enough for it to cure....thank God.

@Marian Smith I looked at a few of the products that come with texture and they are twice as expensive with half the coverage.  Was going to add flakes or someother type of non-slip additive.

@Aaron T.   Lucky guy.  My surface area is just far too large to get done quickly so I think my best bet is to wait it out until I get 48hr of <90 degree sunshine.  I hate waiting but don't want to spend the money twice.

Went with the concrete paint!  Just had to finish the thread to show everyone the final result.  11 Gallons later!  Very happy with result.  Doesn't look amazing but SO much better than what was previously.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you