Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Mike B.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Yardley, PA
Votes |
I bought it.. YOU design it! Let's have some fun!

Mike B.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Yardley, PA
Posted Sep 30 2018, 12:37

Hi everyone,

I thought this could be an interesting/fun topic.  I'm about to close on a home. I know what design I "could" go with.  However I'm polling YOU.. the BP crew to weigh in on my decisions and tell me if you would agree or would do something different. 

I'm about to close on a "grandma's house " as I call it (3 bed, 1.5 bath south philly row home). I picked this up, off market; it's next door to my recent rental I just finished (https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/522/topics/56...). Happened to be a 'right place, at the right time' sort of deal, so very thankful for Karma and all things considered.

The goal is to put <$15K (interior only) into it (this includes hiring out/labor). I'm handling the exterior, more to come on that later, but I wanted YOUR feedback.

Interior hasn't been updated in years (grandma's house.. literally). I'm looking for low-buck (but worth the value/labor) to rehab, clean up, and rent out quickly. Ideally rehab in <30 days. WINDOWS are good, so don't worry about that, electrical or plumbing. **JUST focus on the cosmetics. Target rental price is $1200-1400.

Neighborhood is a B-/C+ (blue collar, mostly safe place, near highway, public transit, and shopping)

My thoughts:

--Re-paint whole house neutral colors (e.g. Repose Grey). Some of the wood paneling I was thinking of just painting bright white (e.g. in bathroom/kitchen) and adding trim to make it look more like beadboard (see pix)

--Kitchen: paint cabinets; New Countertop (laminate vs. granite??); new SS appliance package, add recessed lights with new ceiling tiles, install new SS hardware/knobs on the cabinets. LEAVE current kitchen configuration/setup. Flooring would be a light gray LVP (waterproof)

--Flooring: there MIGHT be hardwood floors that can be saved. If so those will be sanded/refinished. If not.. install laminate the whole house, with waterproof LVP in kitchen/bath

--Bath: Paint vanity and all wood paneling bright white, put on new countertop (laminate vs. granite?).  ??Demo some wall tile and new sheet rock. There IS a separate TUB and SHOWER stall as you see in the pix. Shower stall... pull plastic and tile?? Match tile from Shower with that of tub? And then spray tub bright white.  I'm a little lost on best thing to do in bathroom.

--Bedrooms: 52" ceiling fan with bright LED lights for each bedroom

--Closet organizers (or add closet doors where missing) to current closets in place (there's several so I don't have to add any)

I had trouble uploading images to this post, so you can see pictures by going here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sachv33pq1q1evh/AADOot7MmEkTkYsCm-k5XLP-a?dl=0

Let the brainstorming begin!  Thanks in advance! 

Loading replies...