Storm windows and caulk

4 Replies

I plan to install a storm window and want to run a line of caulk between blind stop and storm window flange. The caulk's purpose is to reduce air infiltrartion. Any idea what material stays pliable so that the window could get removed again in 10 years or later without tearing the window apart?

This is seasonal and easily removable 

Red Devil 0606 Zip-A-Way

No need to caulk if the painted surface is somewhat flat and clean.  There should be several groves on the storm windows that will sink into the paint to help with sealing the window.  If you feel the need to caulk any latex caulk is fine just do not caulk the bottom as it needs to weep.

I think you over thinking this in general and not worth it.

A  non-curing butyl sealant.  Typically used in roof applications. It needs to be a non-sag (NS) product otherwise it will run on you and leave streaks on the wall.  You wont like the results of this.   You may be better off with a clear or white acrylic sealant right at the edge of the frame.

@Jim Adrian @Bob B. @Frank Sanchez

Thank you all for your responses. I ended up not calking the flange to the molding due to fit and refit of the storm window. The original window hasn't seen a right angle for quite some time and I trimmed off part of the storm flange. Once it gets a little warmer, I will calk the edges. The different in noise and  air infiltration is already significant.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here