Laundry card to coin machines

6 Replies

I inherited about 8 laundry machines that have card readers (not credit cards - laundry mat cards) specifically for the laundromat they came out of. I want to convert them to coin machines and use them in my multi family. Is this possible and how do I do it?

@Kelly DeWinter that is interesting but I still don’t know how to get them to work since they have a card slot on them. Maybe I just sell these and use normal ones but these are commercial.

What brand are the machines? It's possible to convert them with the right faceplate. Places like Parts King dot com will be able to get you the right parts.

Another option would be to install an app based system like Clear Token. This eliminates any money in the machines and reduces vandalism. Also people aren't worried about having enough coins.

Originally posted by @Ryan Rush :

I inherited about 8 laundry machines that have card readers (not credit cards - laundry mat cards) specifically for the laundromat they came out of. I want to convert them to coin machines and use them in my multi family. Is this possible and how do I do it?

Why not try to use the card reader ? You could talk to the laundromat and ask them what system or Consultant they used. Change is a high theft item. I've seen those broken into. 

@Philip Johnson I was told the card reader will only work specifically with the laundry mat it was installed for.

That is correct. If you did hook them up based on the Laundromat the money would be deposited in their account.  You would still need a method to add money to the cards. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here