Amateur with questions about flooring choices for 4 unit

5 Replies

So I bought a 4 unit in what i would consider a B class neighborhood. The units have badly installed cheap damaged linoleum floors. I'm looking to upgrade to a flooring option that will look nice, hold up over time, be easy to repair, and not break the bank. I plan on owning this building for at least 50 years.

I'm leaning towards luxury vinyl planks, since they seem to be the preferred choice of investors. However i have a friend who claims water gets underneath them easily and damages them, is this true? Also with the locking kind, what if i need to replace a piece in the middle because it was scratched up by furniture? Can i cut it out and put in a new piece, or do i have to unlock all of the pieces in the same row, until i reach the damaged one? 

Also I don't know anything about underlayment. I was thinking about installing a rubber underlayment in the upstairs units to reduce footstep noise.  (like this: https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/underlayment/2mm...). Is there any reason this kind of underlayment won't work with certain flooring choices, or are there better kinds of underlayment to choose from for noise reduction? 

I have installed quit a bit of lvp. Probably over 15k sqft. Have'nt had the moisture issue being trapped underneath as far as I know.

Sunlight warping. Have'nt had that either. Did however have it warp after a heat treatment for bedbugs..

As far as scratches..  It does scratch irregardless the grade or thickness. We advise all tenants to put pads on furniture legs to help prevent. We have this as a special provision in our leases..  When scratches occur I use a color match stain stick. I color in the scratch then wipe it down with a terry cloth. That works pretty well with the textured floors.

As far as being the miracle floor for rentals. I am not sure. It just hasn't been out long enough to determine that. Who knows how it holds up after turning a place 6-7 times?  No one on here knows.  But so far so good

I highly recommend luxury vinyl plank flooring. They're incredibly more durable than laminate. To test the durability I take a key to them, and attempt to scratch them. They do, however, look a bit "cheaper" but shop around and find your favorite. I'm more partial to Lifeproof from Home Depot. They have a lifetime residential warranty.
While installation is easy, if you have to replace a damaged plank, I have always been under the impression you will have to unlock all the pieces (because they all click lock into each other). Removing the damaged plank wouldn't be all that difficult but installing a new one would be challenging without causing further damage. 
Nevertheless, I agree with everything Peter said above. I have it installed in my entry way, kitchen, and utility room and have never had an issue with water intrusion, nor with sun damage (kitchen flooring always has sun shining on it). That being said, I personally wouldn't install in a bathroom. 

Originally posted by @Austin Tondreau :

I highly recommend luxury vinyl plank flooring. They're incredibly more durable than laminate. To test the durability I take a key to them, and attempt to scratch them. They do, however, look a bit "cheaper" but shop around and find your favorite. I'm more partial to Lifeproof from Home Depot. They have a lifetime residential warranty.
While installation is easy, if you have to replace a damaged plank, I have always been under the impression you will have to unlock all the pieces (because they all click lock into each other). Removing the damaged plank wouldn't be all that difficult but installing a new one would be challenging without causing further damage. 
Nevertheless, I agree with everything Peter said above. I have it installed in my entry way, kitchen, and utility room and have never had an issue with water intrusion, nor with sun damage (kitchen flooring always has sun shining on it). That being said, I personally wouldn't install in a bathroom. 

Have you ever had to use the warranty? How does that go? Warranties can be a pain with some companies.

I have been fortunate enough to not use the warranty, yet. But they guarantee LifeProof wont fade due to sunlight (Just looked over my warranty agreement). That being said, I have warrantied a few items from Home Depot, and never had any issues. 

But overall it is a really solid product. I've dragged my fridge and stove across the flooring multiple times with zero marks. My dogs nails have never scratched it either. I have hosted a few parties, with things constantly being dropped (like a drinking glass), again zero stains and zero scratches. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you