When did you call it quits and hire a contractor?

6 Replies

Hi,

I wanted to know when you decided to stop doing the work yourself on your investment properties?

I love building and fixing things. Initially, I enjoyed the work and the satisfaction of finishing a nice work. I know many investors are cringing theirs face because it does not save time or money to do your own work. I agree.  

Anyway, on my last investment property, I decided to replace the dingy carpet with vinyl planks. My wife and I removed the old carpet without much problem. Btw, we never pulled carpet out in our lifetime. We noticed "millions" of little staples on the baseboard. We slowly tackle the monument task to remove them. God bless my wife who did a great job removing them on 1 bedroom. I spent 30 minutes and I put my hands up. This was the moment when my DIY  motivation just flew out the window and decided to outsource  the job.

So, tell me your story when your light bulb went on to hire a contractor? Funnier the better. 

@John Kwon things like changing a toilet or replacing faucets are definitely things we will always do ourselves but otherwise we want turnover to be quick so anything that takes us too much time we ideally contract out. If it’s a small area though we would do the flooring ourselves.

I honestly don’t think that light bulb has gone off yet though because we don’t contract out enough imo. Savings are good though.

I’m still sorta a newbie tho

First, we consider if we want to do it. Then, if we are willing, we always price out what it would cost to hire it out, AND see what the scheduling would look like.  Often we choose to do things because we have total control of the schedule. Over time, we've collected a really good group of contractors, so we hire out more and more, even though we are getting more and more experienced.  We've definitely developed a preference for the kinds of things we like to do.

The things that we end up doing the most, it turns out, is drywall, trim work, and painting.

When I get the property under contract for the right price. You need these people in your tool belt regardless of experience level. Nobody is a master of everything and some project take >2 hands. 

Yeah, we hire out for the ceilings and we do the walls ourselves. We're getting pretty good at it,  after half a dozen jobs. Each job is less and less sanding...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you