Cast Iron Tub Reglazing/Finishing

7 Replies

Was set on demoing the original cast iron tub, but now am looking into refinishing it since it's built like a tank. Seems simple enough, but was wondering if you have any experience or advice in refinishing it? For a live-in flip. 

@Trey Burns   I have had this done many times on both flips and rentals. There are pros and cons.

It's definitely cheaper than replacing the tub, but it won't last forever. The company I used offered a 5-year warranty on residential and 1 year on rentals. My advice would be to make sure whoever does it for you offers a guarantee.  This is something I would never try to do DIY. I've seen so many that were done poorly and it's tough to re-do. Also, I would only use a company that specializes in resurfacing. A lot of people say they can do it, but it's not as easy as it looks.

its. coin flip for your situation, removing cast iron tub in itself is a huge task.  The down fall to reglazing is the maintenance required to protect tub long term.  You need to clean a certain way and must at all cost avoid scratching/ denting or anything that can lead to that. I keep kids toys and pets away from our glazed tubs (action figures & dog nails, no good) I reglazed a few tubs a couple of month ago, I made sure to do it a week before vacation, that way tubs curried for over 2 weeks. so far they have been alright but long term not sure yet.

Break it out with 8-pound sledgehammers, replace. I do enameled steel replacements, but that has its own series of headaches and a learning curve that you have to get used to. I would get something nice in acrylic. Your profile says you're interested in rehab for more than just this one place. I'd take the opportunity to learn how to do a replacement and build a leaktight tile surround.

I've reglazed two tubs and it's quite a process but comes out nice once you get the hang of it. You need a real respirator with replaceable cartridges (3M has a great one we use) capable of handling organic gasses and have all the windows open. The fumes are severe! If you're interested in the details, hit me up.  

so many times there is already floor damage or drain problems we just put in a new nice light easy to install sterling acrylic "vikrell" tub. I have a couple of tenants that will demo them out for $10/hour and then they scrap them for a little extra on top.

If diy it is absolutely paramount to prep well. Even just the grease from you fingers causes fish eyes. Horrible smell, get a respirator and use lots of ventilation. Plan to finish at 6-8pm and return the next day or you’ll be high as Woodstock.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you