Just purchased a fixer upper, and I will need to replace several of the ceiling tiles in a couple of the rooms. The tile patterns seem old, and I'm unable to find them at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Any advice on where to look to find comparable vintage ceiling tiles? Appreciate the help.
I'm assuming these are tin/bronze ceiling tiles ?
1) Ebay for originals, search for "vintage ceiling tiles", Amazon for possible new replacements.
2) Don't know if this will work for your situation, but let's say you have 3 rooms with the same tiling, and each room needs replacements. Take down ceiling tiles in the smallest room, replace with drywall or another new pattern. Use original tiles from smallest room as replacement for the other 2 rooms. If each room has different tiling, or if it's impossible to get it down without major damage, this won't work of course....seen this trick done with old exterior siding.
3) Any neighbors renovating too? There's the possibility that nearby properties have the same tiling on the ceiling, and maybe they aren't as interested as you in keeping the original look.
4) Property have an attic or basement? Any salvageable ones tucked away there?
Thanks, @Matt Gdowski . Brilliant answer. Lots of good options here.
Depending on the age of the tiles they my contain asbestos. Use caution.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you