replacing a through the wall air conditioner size problem??

4 Replies

Replacing a wall AC, I'd like to buy a certain unit that is not a perfect fit to the sleeve.  Sleeve is 27wx17h x 17 depth. There is 2 1/2 inches vertical difference with ac and 3" width difference ( 1 1/2" on each side).  The sales said he thought with that space it might overheat, even 

though it would be flush with the back grill to the outside.  He said he could maybe have his guys put the ac on a board to take up a little vertical space difference, but he would not take it back if there was a problem.  Is he being overly cautious with his advice, ie. can you leave a little space around a replacement AC as it sits in the slightly larger sleeve without it overheating?? Thanks, I have no experience with this, the units that might fit it exactly seem to be much more expensive.

Preface to say I divorced my last window a.c. 30 years ago.

How hard is it to find the exact size needed for opening?

IF all a.c. are same size at least it is smaller.  It will require some light carpenter duty.  I would fill in with the solid plastic Restoration or similar, a can of non expand window and door spray foam and whatever it took for good looking trim

A perfect DIY project for an hour or three.  Just don't pound a pine cut stud in the hole and forget the white paint and say good enough

Most wall units are closer to flush on the inside and stick out most of their depth.  Make proof positive it leans a hair outside so water does not run down your wall.  Had a tenant that took out the whole wall out by 'not knowing that'

Thanks for your answers, Don.  Central air is not an option, I'm actually a tenant in an apt bldg.  I'm not handy, am disabled actually, I think the ac's come with some foam just for an inch or so near the front of the ac, but the problem is the space behind that.  As in my above post, can you leave a little space around a replacement AC as it sits in the slightly larger sleeve, or might it overheat?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you