Compromised mid century modern house. What would you do?

10 Replies

Hey, I just started to renovate a house on the photo attached. The roof was added by the previous owner. The house is supposed to be mid century modern style with flat roof. The gabled roof and the decks were added. Firstly, let me ask you what do you think? Does it compromise the style a lot? Can I still bring it to mid century modern style and keep the roof in place?

and the last, I am planing to color is in a shade of white, which color should I use to paint the rails and the columns.

I kind of feel that the columns were added as well. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by @Jim K.:

It's fugly as hell and I wouldn't worry about it. White will be fine.

it's also fexpensive ;) and I do worry about it.

Promotion
NestEgg
Smarter rental management
Outperform your peers by 71%
NestEgg landlords save $6,960/yr in fees & 20 hrs/mo*. Self-manage for free or go hands-off for $29.
Start now, get $500

@Account Closed

No, Sophie, really, something like that, we're not talking about fidelity to Fallingwater or the principles of Le Corbusier. This is very much Learning From Las Vegas's decorated shed, not a modernist duck. You're not reasonably going to get convincing snobs who will get on you for the decks or the gabled roof for grossly violating all that was good about Modernism. So make it functional, paint it museum white, stage it with Kandinsky prints and a copy of Duchamp's Nude Descending a Staircase over the staircase, do the cabinets in marine plywood with horizontal-running bookmatched walnut veneer, you're good to go. 

I would paint the first level (brick) white and second level (I’m assuming it’s vinyl or wood siding) a royal blue for more dramatic look or beige color for a fresh look. I’d keep the railing black and leave colums white. 

@Sophie Maisel can you add more pics or address? Depending where in auction this house is located I could see having added value from an MCM style. I would th I kremoving a roof and going back to flat roof would be quite costly but maybe you have room in the budget for it?

@Account Closed

If this were mine, I'd talk to 2 or 3 local Architects and have him/her come visit it and describe a vision for it at different price points.

I don't know what it's neighborhood is like but properly upgrading the terraced landscaping seems like it would really make an impression.

If it's in a tough neighborhood I wouldn't do that though.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by @Linda D.:

@Sophie Maisel where are things now, what did you decide to do?

I had structural engineer and (as I expected) it would cost a lot to make redo it to mid century. In the end I used him to draw a letter to the city to remove 4 bearing walls and make 2 patio doors upstairs 3 times wider. I gave up more or less on the style. But since it is hot right now, I will be making finishes in MCM style through the house. I will cut off small trees and bushes, as most of the trees are city protected.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you