I guess I'm replacing the floor!

9 Replies

Whoops! I was just adding in some new PVC under the sink when I kicked over the can of primer. The floor may have not been pretty before, but it wasn't in bad shape. 

Looks like maybe we'll be replacing it sooner than planned!

Oh man that's a mess. I'm a plumber for a living I feel the pain with the purple primer. A little organization will go long way. I always keep my glue and primer cans inside a 1 gallon bucket. It's harder to spill that way. 

A trick if you ever spill it on something, take clear primer to it sometimes the clear primer cleans out the purple. Not on a big spill like that though. 

Ohh geez that sucks! I was remodeling a bathroom with my brother last year and he damaged the tub. I acted like it was the end of the world, freaked out, but I was buying a new one anyways :-D  

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

Opps, been in the same shoes as you, been there bought that shirt.

One thing I learned from a plumber is to always tape the primer and glue together and then they don't tip over.

Originally posted by @Tim Johnson:

One thing I learned from a plumber is to always tape the primer and glue together and then they don't tip over.

That is a simple but genius idea. Im also always losing one or the other, by the end of a project I'll have 2 primers and 4 glues. All half full

made a similar mistake earlier this year with one or the other. It was a small spot so I didn't address it immediately. When I got around to it a little bit later it had eaten a whole through a vinyl plank :/

@George W. the bucket trick is great. I actually didn't do that because I have a kitten who loves jumping in buckets, and I was worried about having to fish a purple cat out during the project. Apparently I didn't have enough preventative measures against my own stupid feet, though. I think I might have to try taping them together to at least get some more stability, like @Tim Johnson says. 

I think all in all, I need to just become a cleaner worker. About half of the mess seen in the picture is because I frantically through things away from the purple deluge, but only half. The other half was already there.

Originally posted by @Tim Johnson:

So that's why they do that???  Learn a new trick every day.  I just assumed it was so they were always together.

From my remodeling days  that purple primer always scared me for this exact reason. 

Is that real tile floor or linoleum?

Either way maybe put a floating floor on top with proper transition pieces.  Should be relatively low cost.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you