Need Advice: First property has washer/dryer in separate rooms.

5 Replies

Just bought my first buy and hold investment and am now in the process of fixing it up and getting it ready to rent. The only thing I really don't have an answer for is that the washer is in the kitchen and the dryer just outside the kitchen door in the garage. I understand this is how things were done back in the day but it's not exactly ideal for families now. It's a 1,100sqft, 3 bedroom 1.5 bath so not much space to install a utility room. Is there something I should do relocate them or just leave it like it is? 

Would appreciate any and all advice! Thanks!

Although inconvenient, I don't believe it will be a deal-breaker for many potential tenants.  They are likely going to be more concerned about the location of the property, the cost to rent it, whether it is pet-friendly, etc.

That being said, if you have the height for a stackable combo or can arrange them side by side, it wouldn't be too much electrical work to bring the dryer into the kitchen.

@Brandon Roof Thank you I appreciate the feedback! I will look into a stackable but I know that most renters won't have it. Might just be something that I add later! Also for pets do you make them pay a separate deposit, extra on rent, or just leave it the same? 

For pets, as opposed to a deposit, many charge a one-time, nonrefundable pet fee.  Pet rent may be collected in addition to this.  I often see an additional ($25-$50/month).

I wouldn't leave it the same unless there are no other places in your area that charge for pets (I doubt this would be the case.

Lastly, with the washer/dryer, if you don't have ample space for a true utility room, and your stuck with it in the kitchen, you may consider building a small closet with bi-fold doors around them.  Maybe concealing the units would appease potential tenants more and an additional shelf or two for storage could be installed too.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you