Federal Pacific Electrical Box

4 Replies

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding changing out a Federal Pacific Electrical Box. I have a handy man that is NOT a licensed electrician that has changed many boxes, is capable and will charge me much less than an electrician. However, I am concerned about potential legal issues down the road. What happens if there is a problem/fire heaven forbid caused by the electrical work. Would an insurance company deny a claim if I cannot show that it was installed by a licensed pro? I would love to save some money on the installation but not at risk of total loss of property in the event of a problem.

I appreciate your comments!

@Michael Sontheimer this is always your risk when you have an unlicensed person do the work. Only you can make the call on whether or not the potential savings is worth the risk. I agree that electricians seem to overcharge for what is in reality fairly simple for them. Switching out a panel seems to take my electricians 3-4 hours, and ends up costing over 1k.... frustrating for sure. 

Out of all the things to cheap out on, I would say that the electric service is not where you should do it.   If there is a fire and the insurance company (or a litigious tenant) discovers there was no permits pulled and an unlicensed handyman did the work, oof.   Also eventually you would want to sell, and any skilled inspector would be able to identify obvious mistakes like missized breakers or poor workmanship. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here