What kind of wood flooring is this? Pine or Hickory or Other?

8 Replies

Hello,

Can anybody help me identify this type of flooring. I initially thought it was pine, but then somebody told me most of the houses in the area were constructed with hickory so now I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not possible to tell from the worn wood in the pic. The bottom of a piece may show more grain characteristics. Also an end cut piece may provide clues.

Here,,,pine and fir was used interchangeablely.  Could be either.  I get a kick out of people calling them hardwood.  It is NOT but those are soft woods.  IF you sand on them start with finer grit and move faster than sanding oak

@Luke Stone Does that top picture have all the grain that way? If so it is quarter sawn and very, very valuable. Back in 2009-2011 I was working on a hunting lodge and the Architect called for quarter sawn pine. It cost 300k for enough to do  a 4000 square foot job. This is not installed or stained. It was knot free as your floor looks too. 100 years ago it was common to cut it this way but now it is very costly because of waste and most mills aren't set up for it. We had to use a mill out of OK (10 hours away) and they set up just for our order. Whiskey barrels are made of quarter sawn white oak because of the straightness and they are impervious to liquids. 

If it's just those few it wont be worth as much as during the process of normal sawing you will end up with a slab or two that will be quarter sawn anyway. 

The second picture is probably newer and not as special. How old is the house? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you